Icy Dock FlexCage MB975SP-B
Let's take a quick look at the product packaging, the inner packaging and the manual.
Here we get our first look at the Icy Dock FlexCage MB975SP-B. In this image, the unit is positioned as it would fit in a majority of computer cases. Our installation environment on the next page is a special configuration that positions the drive bays in a vertical position.
As the included sticker on the front of the FlexCage MB975SP-B shows, there is a button to press to power the drive in the corresponding bay. The buttons also shine a blue light via LED they also blink with disk activity.
The FlexCage Series of products are tool-less. When you want to install a 3.5" HDD, you simply slide it in and close the door. The flexible metal tabs ease the drive into place and the plastic locking mechanism keeps the door closed.
When you wish to remove the drive, you have a couple of options. The first way is to power down the computer and remove the drive after the heads are parked and the disk stops spinning. The second method it to tell Windows you're removing the drive, wait for the system to acknowledge your request, press the power button and open the drive bay door. The metal drive extractors pictured here push the drive out so you can get a firm grip on the drive and gently pull it out.
Each side of the MB975SP-B are a mirror image of one another. There is something very important here, though. The previous FlexCage we reviewed had cut outs on each side so it fit in a high number of consumer cases. Many popular consumer cases that are also tool-less have tabs to hold optical drives in place. Without the cut outs, the MB975SP-B doesn't fit in cases without bending the tabs out of the way or cutting them off... which is not recommended for resale value.
You may think this is an oversight on Icy Dock's part, but the 5 into 3 design uses the entire available width for the drives. There simply isn't room to machine slots for consumer cases on this model.
All of your connectors are on the back of the MB975SP-B.
They are lined up in order and with a reasonable amount of space between each connector.
When using the system, we found the automatic fan setting worked best. The system stayed quiet even when all five bays were populated with Western Digital RED HDD's.
Three SATA power connectors are on the opposite side of the fan and distribute power to the system. This keeps you from pulling too much power over a single connector.
The fan is user replaceable with either a two or a three-prong power connector. As mentioned, in our testing, the included fan was quiet on the automatic setting, even with five drives in the cage.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel's new XMM 7660 LTE modem: 1.6Gbps speeds on your phone
- Skyrim on Switch runs at native 900p resolution while docked
- THQ Nordic grabs Biomutant game rights and developer
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Vivendi postpones Ubisoft takeover
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ