Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Offered in 120GB, 240GB and large 480GB capacity sizes, the PNY Prevail Elite is a unique product offered at a consumer SSD price, but utilizes high endurance, enterprise grade MLC flash. Unfortunately we've had the PNY Prevail Elite for nearly a year. When released, the Prevail and Prevail Elite shipped with LSI's 5.0.2 firmware, the last of the broken TRIM code. It took PNY quite a while to release a firmware update, but eventually they released both 5.0.5 and 5.0.6 code to customers. Today we're running 5.0.5 and hope PNY will publish 5.0.7 soon.
The typical LSI SandForce MLC performance numbers accompany the Prevail Elite 240GB - 550MB/s sequential read and 520MB/s sequential write speeds. PNY specifies random read and write operations at 4KB at 85,000 IOPS. That number should be correct for the random write speed, but the random read performance is closer to 60K at a queue depth of 32.
The PNY Prevail Elite uses the consumer class SF-2281 controller and pairs it with enterprise grade Intel 25nm synchronous NAND flash rated at 10K P/E cycles. As mentioned, this is a unique combination and one that you would expect to spend a fortune on to own. On the PNY website the 240GB model has a MSRP of nearly $750, but Google shopping unveiled a stunning number of e-tailers with the retail version of the drive for less than $250. Once you sift through the rubble, Tiger Direct and Provantage stand out with roughly $230 price points for the 240GB model we're looking at today.
Provantage shows the 120GB Prevail Elite in stock for $134.27 and the large 480GB for $576.84. PNY's catalog shows a number of part numbers for the three capacity size Prevail Elite. Options offered are two retail box versions of the 120GB and 240GB with a single retail box 480GB product. All three drives are also offered with brown box packaging and in bulk trays similar to how we receive products for large drive count RAID reviews.
PNY backs the Prevail Elite with a three year warranty that extends to five years when registered at PNY's website.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [PNY Prevail Elite 240GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rime on the Nintendo has been fixed, looks decent now
- Onrush launches on the 5th of June, new trailer released
- Nintendo Switch exclusive Castle of Heart gets new trailer
- The Station released today, new launch trailer is also live
- Rocket League goes comic book, new DC Super Heroes DLC pack
- Z370 Taichi BIOS 1.40
- Seagate DJI Fly Drive 2TB Review
- Weird SATA Controller Issue
- Secretlab TITAN NAPA: the most luxurious gaming chair yet
- MyDigitalSSD OTG v2 480GB Portable SSD
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit