Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
When we looked at the performance of the reference video cards in SLI earlier this month, we found ourselves extremely impressed with the setup. Not only is the performance extremely strong, but the price point it hits at makes it extremely attractive.
It's safe to say that the setup on a whole is consistently faster than the single GPU AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition video card. While one could argue it's unfair to compare the single GPU setup with the dual GPU SLI one here, the bottom line is the price point of the two setups. The SLI setup we're looking at here today is going to cost you $339.98, while the cheapest HD 7970 GHz Edition is going to cost you $419.99 after rebate.
The decision to go down the path of a single HD 7970 GHz Edition over a setup like this today could be quite hard. SLI performance is extremely strong and you don't see the negative performance impact, which is still occasionally seen on AMD CrossFire setups. Noise levels on this setup is also extremely low, although temperature of the core is a little warmer than we'd like.
Let's step away from the performance of the SLI setup and concentrating more on the Gainward offering. Performance on the single card is going to be similar to the reference card, which is also similar to the Palit card, which carries with it the same clock speeds. The bundle is pretty small, but again considering the price point, this isn't a huge surprise. Of course we have to remember that the AMD Radeon HD 7790 while a little slower also comes bundled with BioShock Infinite, which we think makes for a good deal.
Noise levels on the Gainward card are pretty much identical to that of the Palit which is due to the fact that the two cards are near identical in most respects. If you're looking for a mid-range video card that is near silent, this is a great option from Gainward, thanks to that very quiet dual fan cooler.
The one setup that we haven't looked at yet and we really need to is HD 7790 in CrossFire. That is next on our to-do list and it will be interesting to see how these $300ish dual GPU setups compete against each other.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pre-order Super Smash Bros. Ultimate/GameCube Controller now
- Hollow Knight for Switch, Gods & Glory free DLC details
- Resident Evil 2 remake PC requirements announced
- Gears of War 5 on PC scales incredibly well, up to 120FPS
- Red Dead Redemption 2 may come to PC
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 and Ryzen 5 2600 Review
- Best SSD For Gaming: Over 120 SSDs Tested!
- Vampyr Review: Bloody Rare
- ASROCK X370 and MB STICKS
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit