Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
This Palit 2GB GTX 650 Ti Boost pre-overclocked with a custom cooler is going to set you back around the $169.99 mark which is around $20 more expensive than the HD 7790 1GB. The important thing to remember here, though, is that you're dealing with a video card with twice as much memory. What we really want to test, though, is the 1GB version of the GTX 650 Ti, which brings with it a cheaper price, and if past experience is anything to go by, it will bring with it similar performance.
While the temperature side of things doesn't change too much when compared to the reference model, the noise levels are extremely strong on this Palit offering. I think it's fair to say that most people would prefer a card that runs quieter more so than anything else, especially when the temperature levels on a whole are perfectly fine anyway.
I think the big difference between these two new mid-range models from AMD and NVIDIA is the bundle. Out of the box what we see is very similar. Manual, driver CD and a connector or two. What we don't see here, but see online, is the fact that the AMD offering comes with a copy of BioShock Infinite that can be redeemed via Steam. If you have the game already or simply just have no interest in it then the value of that goes down, but if you don't have it or do want it, then the value of the overall card goes up.
For the most part the GTX 650 Ti Boost is faster than the HD 7790. It's also more expensive than the AMD offering. The final decision of which card to buy is more than likely going to come down to personal preference on if you like NVIDIA more than AMD, or vice versa.
What we would've really liked to have seen was Palit do a little more with the overclock. On a whole you can see the small bump they gave us did very little for extra performance. More often than not we saw the Palit offering scores almost identical with the reference clocked card. The cooler is what really separates this from the reference design. It will be interesting to see if other brands continue to be lenient with the overclock, or decide to be more aggressive.
The Palit offering here today is an attractive option that offers a cooler that is extremely quiet and good performance considering its mid-$100 price point. The mid-range battle between NVIDIA and AMD is extremely heated at the moment, and ultimately the people that really win are the consumers, as both companies work hard to get your money.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series