Features Continued Again
- Contrast and Brightness
When compared to the Hercules ProphetView 920DVI, which we looked at a few months back, you notice that the contrast and brightness settings are a lot higher. While the Hercules LCD used a contrast ratio of 350:1 and a brightness of 250cd/m2, the Samsung 172W uses a contrast ratio of 400:1 and a brightness of 450cd/m2 which should get rid of the darkness problems we had with the ProphetView 920DVI. This is something that we will look at in just a moment when it comes to testing.
As far as paper specifications go, the Samsung 172W does look to be a better monitor but we will find out first hand in just a moment if it can live up to what it says.
The On Screen Display (OSD) for the Samsung LCD is very basic; using the buttons you will navigate through the LCD and proceed to adjust settings. Changing sources from Analogue to Digital and vice versa is made a breeze with the push of the source button found across the bottom of the screen. All your settings are there from brightness and contrast to what language and menu display time. It shouldn't take more then a minute to figure that the + goes right and the - goes left.
MagicBright is a built in setting on the LCD to help give users pre adjusted setting of brightness and contrast depending on what they are doing. There are three built in settings as well as a user defined setting that is stored.
Text - Text is the darkest out of the three presets built into the 172W. It is designed to be easy on the eyes and not be too over powering. Text is definitely the worse to game with as the brightness and contrast are set quite low.
Internet - Internet is slightly brighter then Text, the main reason would be for the pictures you start seeing when on the Internet. The Internet setting adds a bit more contrast and brightness to help make pictures look better.
Entertain - Entertain is the brightest out of the three pre sets. If you're going to be watching a movie or playing a game, this is the setting you are after. Sometimes you will find that the brightness and contrast still isn't high enough for some games so this is where the user defined setting comes into play.
User Defined - User Defined is where your preset settings are, in the case that any of the above presets don't suit your needs when you do a particular task - this is the option you may choose. For example most games might be just fine using the "Entertain" setting but when you jump into a game that is slightly darker then others, you may find that a little bit more contrast or brightness is needed to make the game look better. This is where these settings are stored.
MagicBright is a very handy feature and gives you those settings that you normally wouldn't think about. Most people think that having higher brightness and contrast is better but when just reading text on the screen, it is easer on the eyes to have it dimmer over long periods of time. Overall MagicBright is a very unique feature that is making an appearance on a lot of Samsung monitors and is definitely a big plus for the 172W.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 2 [Specifications and 16:9 Rundown]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 3 [Features]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 5 [Features Continued Again]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 6 [Testing]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 7 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Devil May Cry 5 gets stylish new gameplay and release date
- Battlefield V's low pre-orders could hurt EA, says analyst
- Everspace will take flight on the Switch in December
- Team Cherry announces Hollow Knight physical copy release
- Space Hulk: Tactics trailer unveiled, October 9 release
- P9X79E-WS Giant Headaches
- EVGA Z370 Classified K (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI-OP Motherboard Review
- Buy (30) Apple iPhone X $8,970 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Boot sequence, BIOS setting question
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada