GIGABYTE X79S-UP5-WiFi Motherboard
Moving away from the box and bundle we start to look at the motherboard which you can see above follows that typical UD5 / UP5 black and blue color scheme that we really love. You can see a strong heatsink setup being a high-end board.
Looking above you can see we've got a single PCIe x1 slot and an older legacy PCI slot. Along with those two we've also got four PCIe x16 slots that run in an x16 / x8 / x4 / x16 configuration supporting both 3-way SLI and CrossFireX.
Heading across the bottom we can see the normal line up of headers including a front audio, 1394 Firewire, TPM, three USB 2.0 ports and front panel header. There is also a pair of fan headers and a reset switch situated in the bottom right hand corner.
Turning the corner you can see a massive line up of SATA ports with a grand total of 14 being seen. Towards the top we've got two SATA III in white and four SATA II in black running off the Intel chipset. Across the bottom we've got a total of eight SAS ports running off the Intel C606 controller which gives us support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10. The addition of the SAS ports is one of the main added features that is brought to the C606 chipset over the standard X79 chipset.
Heading towards the top of the board you can see four of the eight total RAM slots that are present on the board. We've got support for up to 64GB of DDR3 ranging from 1066MHz to 2133MHz DDR. Towards the bottom left hand side you can see a front panel USB 3.0 header while next to that we have the main 24-pin ATX power connector. And finally over to the far right corner you can see a power button present.
As we move further back you can see the 8-pin CPU power connector sitting across the top of the board behind one of the heatsinks. You can also see the other four DIMM on the left hand side of the motherboard. The CPU area itself is fairly clean with little being seen around it.
We've got the typical PS/2 combo port along with a total of five USB 2.0 connectors. We've got an OC switch that's present which we'll cover in the overclocking side of things while below that we've got a button that lets us switch between BIOS 1 and BIOS 2. And below that we've got a small little black button that resets the BIOS if anything goes wrong.
Continuing to move across we've got a 1394a Firewire port running off the VIA VT6308 chip. We've a combo USB / eSATA port along with an eSATA III port that runs off the Marvell 88SE9172 chip. Four USB 3.0 ports are present that run off the VIA VL800 chip and above them we've got two Gigabit networking ports. One runs of the Intel chip while the other uses the Realtek one. Finally we finish off with five auxiliary audio ports and an optical out that run off the ALC898.
While normally we'd head straight into the BIOS, we want to cover the C606 chipset a little closer since this is the first time we've used a board that makes use of it. As we mentioned just earlier, this is a server version of the X79 chipset, and as such offers a few extras, which can be seen below.
Max TDP is slightly higher along with a slightly different PCIe configuration being available. The other few main differences refer to some of the Intel technologies that are more focused on the server side of things - Intel Trusted Execution Technology, vPro Technology and Active Management Technology.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Smash Bros cancer patient thanks community for Ultimate demo
- Free Absolver expansion released 'Downfall' packs content
- Red Dead Redemption 2 NPC system explained by Rockstar devs
- Anthem reaches 'alpha' development phase, demo on Feb 1st
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey receives EPIC launch trailer
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080/RTX 2080 Ti: Ethereum Mining Results
- Silicon Motion SM2262EN Preview: Micron 96-Layer TLC
- Need Advice 7800X OC
- Dial +1-844-319-0999 Dell technical support phone number for Dell help
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- MMA Team Manager is Coming Soon
- Lian Li Introduces LANCOOL ONE White Edition
- Fire Up Those Jetpacks as Armajet Blasts Its Way Onto Android & Steam Early Access
- Steins; Gate Elite releases February 19th 2019 for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch
- Snake vs Snake launches today on Nintendo Switch