Having a look at the video card the overall design isn't anything too out of the ordinary - we've seen this Dual-X cooler in the past. It's a pretty strong cooler, though, and you can see the massive heatsink in the background along with a number of heatpipes coming out the bottom to help pull heat away from the core.
Moving away from the front and taking a moment to move around, you can see we've got two 6-pin PCIe power connectors at the back. As we stay across the top and move closer to the front you can see a single CrossFire connector in the event that you want to throw two of these video cards together.
Finishing up with the I/O side of things we've got a single Dual-Link DVI connector, HDMI port and a pair of Mini DisplayPort connectors. You can also see the top half has a vent that goes from top to bottom to help hot air escape out the back of your case.
Out of the box the Sapphire HD 7870 XT carries with it the default clock speeds that are associated with this new model. That means the core comes in at 975MHz on the core and 6000 MHz QDR on the 2GB of GDDR5 memory. Like we mentioned in the introduction, because we've already had a look at stock performance in a previous PowerColor review, we'll be overclocking today.
Firing up MSI Afterburner we took the time to see what we could do with overclocking. While normally we'd adjust the voltage, as you can see above, it wasn't an option here. Since the Tahiti LE isn't manufactured by everyone it's clear that companies aren't going to put as much effort into the overclocking software, especially someone like MSI who hasn't got a Tahiti LE based video card on sale yet themselves.
For some reason GPU-Z wouldn't show us the adjusted speeds when overclocked so for that reason we've used the MSI Afterburner image. As you can see above we pushed the core up to 1208MHz. For the 2GB of GDDR5, we left that at the default 6000MHz QDR, as whenever we adjusted the memory speed, the performance of the video card would drop back - so we left the memory clock at the default speed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spyro Reiginited Trilogy may get subtitles added soon
- Piccolo/Cell/Kenshin and Shishio added to Jump Force roster
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate post-launch rumor, more content?
- Switch SMITE scheduled for Jan 24th launch, pre-orders live
- Amazon depleted of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stock
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- Narrow bezel on a metallic chassis MSI PS42 14 Thin & Light Laptop Review
- is a supplement this is
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card