Lenovo W530 - Mobile Workstation
It's important to remember that our Lenovo W530 isn't designed to be a long life notebook with 10+ hours on the portable juice. We use this system to test SSD performance in our standard SSD reviews. Since we review more SSDs than any other publication in the world, online or in print, we often need to run two and three drives in a single day. To reduce the number of hours in our notebook test we use a lower capacity 6-cell battery instead of a 9-cell battery. We also only run the notebook with moderate power savings in the BIOS settings. Even with these settings we can achieve nearly 300 minutes of use on a single charge depending on what SSD we have in the notebook.
Our Lenovo W530 shipped with a single stick of DDR3 RAM running at 1600MHz. The base system ships with 4GB of RAM and that's what we normally use to test with. The stock RAM uses 1.5V.
The Patriot Memory for Ultrabook doubles the stock density, 8GB, retains the same speed, 1600MHz and uses the new lower power setting, 1.35V. Going into the review I wasn't sure if the Patriot 1.35V SODIMM would outperform the Lenovo stock SODIMM since it doubles the density, but those fears have been sidelined.
Bapco MobileMark 2012 1.5
Version and / or Patch Used: 2012 1.5
Developer Homepage: http://www.bapco.com
Test Homepage: http://www.bapco.com
MobileMark 2012 1.5 is an application-based benchmark that reflects usage patterns of business users in the areas of office productivity, media creation and media consumption. Unlike benchmarks that only measure battery life, MobileMark 2012 measures battery life and performance simultaneously, showing how well a system design addresses the inherent tradeoffs between performance and power management.
Getting right down to business, we have our results. The Patriot Memory for Ultrabook stick running just 1.35 volts gave us a measurable battery life increase. The stock Lenovo RAM delivered 266 minutes of battery life and the Patriot Memory for Ultrabook delivered 283 minutes. The Memory for Ultrabook improved our battery life by 17 minutes in our configuration.
We want to point out that if we configured the W530 to extend the battery life as far as it could, the time difference would be much further apart. With a 9-cell battery, a common upgrade for notebook users and all of the power saving features enabled the battery life would increase, nearly double and the difference between these two memory sticks would nearly double as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Patriot Memory for Ultrabook]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo discuss Metroid Prime 4/Yoshi/Pokemon progression
- Total War dev Creative Assembly working on tactical FPS
- NVIDIA Tensor Core GPUs power 5 out of 7 best supercomputers
- INSOMNIA: The Ark developers announce new jazzy soundtrack
- Forza Horizon 4 car list leaked, 90GB of pre-load available
- اعطال صيانه تكييفات امريكول (01014723434) اصلاح امري
- GA-Z68AP-D3 rev 1.0, unable to access BIOS or load Win10
- Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- AMD Vega 56 not being detected by Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 motherboard
- win 7 with gigbyte mobo/network only getting 10% of bandwidth
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit