Lenovo W530 - Mobile Workstation
It's important to remember that our Lenovo W530 isn't designed to be a long life notebook with 10+ hours on the portable juice. We use this system to test SSD performance in our standard SSD reviews. Since we review more SSDs than any other publication in the world, online or in print, we often need to run two and three drives in a single day. To reduce the number of hours in our notebook test we use a lower capacity 6-cell battery instead of a 9-cell battery. We also only run the notebook with moderate power savings in the BIOS settings. Even with these settings we can achieve nearly 300 minutes of use on a single charge depending on what SSD we have in the notebook.
Our Lenovo W530 shipped with a single stick of DDR3 RAM running at 1600MHz. The base system ships with 4GB of RAM and that's what we normally use to test with. The stock RAM uses 1.5V.
The Patriot Memory for Ultrabook doubles the stock density, 8GB, retains the same speed, 1600MHz and uses the new lower power setting, 1.35V. Going into the review I wasn't sure if the Patriot 1.35V SODIMM would outperform the Lenovo stock SODIMM since it doubles the density, but those fears have been sidelined.
Bapco MobileMark 2012 1.5
Version and / or Patch Used: 2012 1.5
Developer Homepage: http://www.bapco.com
Test Homepage: http://www.bapco.com
MobileMark 2012 1.5 is an application-based benchmark that reflects usage patterns of business users in the areas of office productivity, media creation and media consumption. Unlike benchmarks that only measure battery life, MobileMark 2012 measures battery life and performance simultaneously, showing how well a system design addresses the inherent tradeoffs between performance and power management.
Getting right down to business, we have our results. The Patriot Memory for Ultrabook stick running just 1.35 volts gave us a measurable battery life increase. The stock Lenovo RAM delivered 266 minutes of battery life and the Patriot Memory for Ultrabook delivered 283 minutes. The Memory for Ultrabook improved our battery life by 17 minutes in our configuration.
We want to point out that if we configured the W530 to extend the battery life as far as it could, the time difference would be much further apart. With a 9-cell battery, a common upgrade for notebook users and all of the power saving features enabled the battery life would increase, nearly double and the difference between these two memory sticks would nearly double as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Patriot Memory for Ultrabook]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA to launch new GeForce GTX series during GTC 2018
- Final Fantasy XV DLC continues into 2019
- IBM's Watson AI might be coming to a game near you
- Sonic movie set for 2019
- Xbox saves work with Final Fantasy XV on PC
- Enermax T.B. RGB, RGB Lighting 3 Fan Pack Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Reeven NAIA 240 CPU Cooler Review
- For Sale 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 8 64GB Brand New Unlocked $2,795
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit