Since we are doing a direct comparison between the Radeon 9700 Pro and this 128MB version of the 9800 Pro, I went ahead and retested the older board on a fresh install of Windows to make sure that we would have accurate results. While the Sapphire 9700 Pro board is certainly still serviceable as a high-end graphics choice, it is nearly impossible to find one retail anymore. With a sticker price in the same neighborhood, we are looking to see if it is worth the effort to look at this model of 9800 Pro, as an alternative choice. Sure you can get the fancy 256MB version, but that will set you back nearly US$500!
Before we delve into a bunch of test results, let's take a look at the system we used for the comparison.
Test System Setup
Motherboard: Soltek 75MRN-L (Supplied by Soltek)
Processor: AMD Athlon XP Thoroughbred @ 2034MHz
Memory: 2x 512MB Crucial PC2700 DDR
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB "SE"
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP1
Drivers Used: ATI Catalyst 3.6
Software Used: 3DMark2001SE, 3DMark03, Quake III Arena and Code Creatures
I decided to use a couple of older benchmarks and a couple of newer ones to give a more rounded view of the performance level when compared to the last generation 9700 Pro. All system settings were identical for the testing phase and ambient temperatures were also the same. Since both video boards weigh in with 128MB of DDR memory, the only real difference will be the core design. Yes, memory speeds will be a bit different, but these tests will be run at default speeds.
Also of note is the fact that I wanted to see how these boards compared at different resolutions. I ran all of the standard battery of tests at resolutions of 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1600x1200. Color depth was set to 32-bit for all tests to keep things on the same level throughout testing. I decided to stay away from ultra-low settings since it is unlikely that we would even think of really playing a game at this low level of performance. After all, why chuck out good money for a video board and then play it at settings that were popular five years ago?
So how does the new kid on the block stack up with a past winner? Let's find out!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 3 [What You Get]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 4 [The Board]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 5 [Silent Cooling]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Testing Information]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Anti-Aliasing]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 12 [Overclocking and Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Activision cut jobs to focus on monetization as well as dev
- Anthem's epic skins cost $8.50 a piece
- Crackdown 3 only exists to sell Game Pass subscriptions
- Apex Legends turning their son transsexual, says parents
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Switch, motion control support
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- Very odd boot behavior on three identical x399 Taichi builds.
- G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000MHz 32GB Memory Kit Review
- Asrock A97x Killer and Evga 980TI help
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases