This new Tahiti based HD 7800 series video card is a nice edition to a strong line up from AMD and really helps add something new to the mix in time for the holidays. The biggest issue when it comes to promoting the new product, though, is because it's not something every partner is picking up, the only way you'll really see what's available is via reviews like this.
If you head on over to Newegg and do a search for the HD 7870, and then cut it down to the PowerColor ones, you'll see a total of five. The new Myst Edition card we're looking at today mentioned (Tahiti LE) in the title, but the problem is that means very little for most people.
You combine the LE tag with the fact that the out of the box core clocks are actually lower than the other model and you wonder why you're going to be paying an extra $10 for the Myst Edition which comes in at $239.99 after rebate. Of course after reading the review today you get a better idea of what's going on with this new model, but unless you do a bit of research, you're not going to know.
For an extra $10 you'd really be crazy to not choose the Tahiti LE based HD 7870 over the Pitcairn XT one. The question is going to be how many people will actually realize that? Stepping away from the general talk of the model, though, let's quickly get a bit more specific.
Package wise like most cards these days we're really not dealing with anything exciting. Outside of the installation guide and driver CD you can see the only other included piece in the bundle is a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter.
As for the cooling it doesn't look all that fancy and really overall it just looks quite plain. But it does a good job of keeping the temperature of the card at a nice level. More importantly, though, it manages to keep the temperature at a good level, and the noise level is extremely good as well.
Performance overall is strong and out of the box you can see we're coming in a little stronger than a pre-overclocked Pitcairn XT based HD 7870. Of course at times we do see both cards perform extremely close to each other and sometimes the Pitcairn XT based card manages to sneak slightly ahead. Word is overclocking on the new Tahiti LE based HD 7870 is meant to be extremely strong. Keep an eye out to see what's going on with clock speeds when we fire this new model up under MSI Afterburner.
The new PowerColor PCS+ HD 7870 2GB Myst Edition card is a really nice addition to the AMD line up. If you've taken the time to read the review and you're looking at spending around the mid $200 mark, you'd probably know that you'd be crazy to pick up an older Pitcairn XT based product.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spyro Reiginited Trilogy may get subtitles added soon
- Piccolo/Cell/Kenshin and Shishio added to Jump Force roster
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate post-launch rumor, more content?
- Switch SMITE scheduled for Jan 24th launch, pre-orders live
- Amazon depleted of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stock
- Narrow bezel on a metallic chassis MSI PS42 14 Thin & Light Laptop Review
- is a supplement this is
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card