On our charts today we put the OCZ Vector up against a number of previous generation 128GB drives, Vector 256GB and the SLC wonder drive, SuperSSpeed S301. Vector 128GB blew away all of the previous generation drives by a good margin in many of the tests.
That still leaves us with the current crop of best in class SSDs that just hit the market over the last three months. For the last three or four months we've let some of our SSD reviews slide in order to further develop our SSD and NAS testing procedures for 2013. That's starting to bite us because we don't have Neutron, Neutron GTX, M5, M5 Pro or either of the two new Samsung drives to compare with today. We have a few of those 128GB drives on the way and are working on the rest, unfortunately we don't have them on hand now so the big Next Gen 128GB Showdown will have to wait another week.
Without the other competitors on hand for the fastest 128GB SSD show down, we can't say if Vector is the fastest in this capacity size. We will say today that Vector 128GB is amazingly fast and one of the top two to three contenders for the speed crown in all three capacity sizes.
With a price of $159.99, Vector 128GB isn't cheap. Over the holiday shopping season, we've seen 120/128GB drives sell for as low as $60. A few of those drives were built by OCZ and some of them are very good, high performing drives. OCZ is going to have a difficult time convincing some people to lay down the loot for some of the best performance available when drives like Vertex 3 Max IOPS are so cheap yet so good. I think once Vector gets down to $1 per GB it looks a lot more attractive.
What do you think?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [OCZ Vector 128GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dragon Ball FighterZ first DLC unlocks Broly, Bardock
- Final Fantasy XV PC mods can be whimsical and absurd
- Atari gets into crypto, offers Atari Token and Pong Token
- AMD offers free Ryzen APU so owners can flash their firmware
- SanDisk now shipping 400GB microSD card, pumps 100MB/sec
- MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Apricorn Aegis Fortress 128GB SSD Review
- Scythe Grand Kama Cross 3 CPU Cooler Review
- OWC ThunderBlade V4 4TB Review
- SuperMicro C7Z370-CG-IW (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit