Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are equal to that of the Seasonic Platinum 1000W power supply, we can test it to the maximum.
The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V1 rail, we see 1% regulation from start to finish with a total drop of .04V. The 5V rail managed to stay within 1% of specification as well with a total drop of .01V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was within 2% of specification with a total voltage drop of .02V.
DC Output quality for the Platinum 1000W was good and well within specification. During Test 1, we saw 22mV of noise on our scope. When we increased the loads in Test 3, the ripple climbed to 34mV at a little under half load. During Test 6 under a load of 1000W, the oscilloscope showed a maximum of 49mv on noise on the 12V rail.
The Seasonic Platinum 1000Wis rated for 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 90%/92%/89% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the Platinum 1000W passed on our bench and wasn't close to failing at any point.
The fan also performed just as Seasonic stated. The power supply operated in fanless mode until the power supply was at about 50% load then turned on. Once the fan was operational, it remained quiet and was not audible over the rest of the test equipment.
Seasonic knows how to design and build a power supply to please enthusiasts and the Platinum 1000W power supply from them is a testament to this. The unit boasts quality all the way around, starting with layout and component selection on the insides. This gives the unit a performance edge that very few units are able to achieve.
This would be regulating voltages to 2% or less. Our unit was right on par with the claims that voltages are managed within 2% of specification. The Platinum 1000W was incredibly close to having all rails within 1%, missing out by only .01V on the 3.3V rail. You practically can't ask for anything more out of the unit regarding voltage regulation.
The DC output quality is perhaps the worst thing about the Seasonic Platinum 1000W power supply and even it isn't something to complain about too much. Noise on the 12V rail was shown to be between 22mV and 49mV. This is still well within specifications, but we know that much better can be done. We've seen it on many units and we know that Seasonic can do better.
What will make this power supply attractive to most is how efficient the unit is. The efficiency of the Platinum 1000W power supply from Seasonic is perhaps the most important feature when it comes to marketing the unit as Seasonic flaunts it every chance they get. They are rightfully doing so as the unit boasts great efficiency numbers from start to finish.
Rounding things out is the price of the Platinum 1000W power supply. At an MSRP of $259.99, it's a bit pricey and many will turn elsewhere for cheaper units that perform nearly as well. The power supply at its sale price with the rebate makes it more enticing to pull the trigger on it over the competition, especially since very few others would back the unit by a very solid seven year warranty.
Put all of this together and you've got a very attractive package that is going to serve you well for many years to come. For those who are on a budget, this power supply might be a bit much, unless you can catch it on sale. For the rest who aren't worried about the price, you'll be hard pressed to find a better all-around package in a 1000W power supply.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de