Icy Dock MB996SP-6SB
Here we get our first look at the 6-in-1 cage. From this side it all looks pretty simple, six 2.5" drives in a single 5.25" bay. Although difficult to see here, each drive bay had a light system that shows when a drive is present, is active or with the absence of light you know a drive isn't installed into the bay.
Standard 5.25" mounting points are located on each side. The sticker says to only use the screws included with the kit - we'll cover that part a little further in the review.
The system isn't as plain as you once thought after seeing the back. Each bank of three drives shares a power plug. Icy Dock includes two SATA power to 4-pin Molex connectors in the package. Each HDD bay has its own SATA data connector and we found there isn't any signal interference that reduces performance in the backplane.
There is a 40mm fan right in the middle to cool your SSDs/HDDs. Everyone has the same opinion of 40mm fans, they're loud. Amazingly, that isn't the case this time.
The 40mm fan installed in the Icy Dock MB996SP-6SB isn't loud at all, even when switched into the high speed mode. The switch has three positions, High, Low and Off. I tested the system in all three modes and even with the fan on high we couldn't hear it from a couple of feet away.
The drive bays do not lock, but the latch system is very good, so if you're using the MB996SP-6SB in a LAN party system that's transported often you don't have to worry about your drives falling out.
The drive sleds are designed well. The black cap at the back of the sled gets removed when you install a drive. The five silver tabs at the front of the sled reduce vibration and ground the sled.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- We noticed the review was posted early last week, overall is great! One thing to talk about is the issue with the screw's length. We went ahead and inquired further about this, and we have the updated revision for the case screws, which are at 2.5mm length. Any further would cause issues with the ejection mechanic. So, our new units in production have these screws, and should resolve the issue with mounting.
Latest News Posts
- Free Absolver expansion released 'Downfall' packs content
- Red Dead Redemption 2 NPC system explained by Rockstar devs
- Anthem reaches 'alpha' development phase, demo on Feb 1st
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey receives EPIC launch trailer
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro under $12 USD & free shipping!
- Silicon Motion SM2262EN Preview: Micron 96-Layer TLC
- Need Advice 7800X OC
- Dial +1-844-319-0999 Dell technical support phone number for Dell help
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- Recommendations replacing my Asus laptop Wifi adapter
- Xola Online Booking Platform Launches Travel Industry's First App Marketplace for In-Destination Tour and Activity Providers
- Creative's Super X-Fi Magical Headphone Holography Launches
- New ELiMENT Duplex LC Uniboot Connector Offers Highly Engineered Process and Ease of Installation
- Sevatec Announces Partnership with George Mason University
- VOTI DETECTION Announces the Launch of a Powerful Compact Table Top 3D Perspective X-Ray Security Scanner