As noted back when we removed the board from the box, this baby is PURPLE. Not just a little, but akin to your favorite grape soda. With a little imagination and some interior lighting, there are some serious possibilities for this board with regards to pure aesthetics. But looks aren't everything, so lets buckle down and get into the intimate workings of this colorful board.
Beginning with the area of the Socket, we see that there isn't too much clutter around it. This is certainly helpful in terms of installation since it will make things much easier to install. And while there are a few capacitors and such in the vicinity of the socket, there should be no problem with using your favorite heatsink.
That is unless you happen to have something along the lines of an Alpha or Swiftech cooler. If you'll notice the PCB area around the socket itself, you'll notice the lack of the four mounting holes that are necessary to use either of these cooler types. So be warned that if your heatsink requires you to make use of the four holes around the processor socket, they are not available on this board.
Since we're in the neighborhood, we'll stop by and visit the Northbridge next. With a tall passive cooling solution installed, you won't have to worry about any extra noise from a chipset cooler. Running both default and overclocked speeds during testing, I never had any issues that could be attributed to the Northbridge overheating, so you shouldn't have any concerns about this.
EEK! It's naked! ...Sorry, couldn't resist.
Sitting under that high-rise passive cooler is the latest in AMD supporting chipsets, the VIA KT600. We've been hearing good and bad recently about this new breed, so we wanted to see firsthand how was truth and what was myth. But I don't want to spoil the fun yet, so we'll look at that later on.
Moving from the north to the south finds us in front of the VIA VT8237 Southbridge. While the model name might make you think that it isn't much improved from the older Southbridge sets that were on the KT333 boards, nothing could be further from the truth. The Southbridge will handle the chores of your optical and hard drives, audio output, PCI devices, mouse and keyboard functions, all your USB devices and even SATA RAID tasks. That's right, there is no need for a separate RAID controller onboard since this will be handled by the VT8237 Southbridge. Looks like this little chip is going be busy!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- SL-KT600-R - Page 1 [Introduction]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 2 [Specifications]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 3 [Contents]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 4 [The Board]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 5 [The Board - Continued]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 6 [The Board - Continued]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 7 [Installation Notes]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 8 [Test Setup & SiSoft Sandra]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 16 [Overclocking]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 17 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bandai Namco may be making a new horror game
- World of Warcraft expansion 'Battle for Azeroth' releases
- FromSoftware release Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice screenshots
- Capcom/Valve to fix Monster Hunter: World connection errors
- Marvel's Spider-Man gameplay launch trailer unveiled early
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $1,300
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market