The package is very standard on the Soltek motherboard. If you have had the chance to look at a few of Soltek's motherboards in the past you will notice that they simply use the same box, then depending on the chipset and its features they place stickers on top of it. The box is quite nice looking but shouldn't determine if your going to buy the motherboard or not.
Once you get inside and pull the motherboard out the way you will find that there isn't too much to look at. You receive your normal array of manuals, an ugly IDE cable and floppy cable, 2 X Serial ATA cables and driver CD to get you up and running. The smaller package helps keep the price down on the Soltek motherboard which will appeal to a lot more people who can often download the included software of other motherboard packages online anyway.
- First Glance
When you first look at the motherboard you notice how good it looks in silver. If you move away from looking at the color you notice a motherboard which is quite simple, the memory slots are black and all the other ports are very standard. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you're someone wanting a motherboard for looks this may not be the best option, on the other hand some people will find that the silver may go perfect with their desired color scheme.
- Springdale Power
As we stated previously, the Soltek SL-86SPE-L is powered by Intel's Springdale chipset otherwise known as the I865 (P-PE-G). The particular version we are looking at today is the PE version which carries a host of features very similar to Intel's higher end Canterwood known as the I875. The main difference is the exclusion of Performance Acceleration Technology or PAT. PAT helps reduce the time it takes to access memory which overall gives you an increase in performance where memory bandwidth is of importance. The Springdale chipset also has support for Intel's new CSA gigabit networking technology but Soltek has chosen not to include it for some reason. We will look further into this now.
- No CSA
Like we just said, Soltek has chosen to go down the path of using the Realtek controller which only has support for 10/100 networking, while this isn't a bad thing we feel the main reason for choosing this controller over Intel's CSA network controller would be for cost reasons. This motherboard is designed for people who want to use the latest chipset but at the lowest price. We had absolutely no problems running the networking and like you would expect, it was very easy to setup like most onboard LAN solutions.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 3 [Features]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 5 [Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- Soltek SL-86SPE-L - Page 14 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series