Here we get our first look at the DS412+. Most NAS companies like to show off the industrial side of the NAS and put the pull out drive trays in the front for all to see, but Synology chose a cleaner look for this product. The NAS still has removable drives in sleds, but they are behind a piano black cover. The cover also helps in changing the direction of sound from inside the NAS. When sound changes direction it loses amplitude.
With the front door off, we see the plastic drive sleds in place. There is enough room to get a nice volume of air going between each drive. On the left side we also see the status LEDs, one for each disk and an overall system status.
A front facing USB port is also on the front. This can be used for a number of purposes, but there isn't a copy data button like we see one some of the competitors products. I tend to keep a cell phone charging cable plugged into my NAS at home all of the time.
Keeping with the nice visual appeal of the NAS, Synology brands the side of the DS412+ with its logo.
Most of the connectors are on the back of the DS412+, but let's talk about the large fans first. Larger fans are able to pull higher volumes of air while rotating at lower speeds. The lower speeds decrease noise output and reduce vibration. In our testing the DS412+ was very quiet; this is a NAS you can have right next to your monitor if you need to place it in a very small office.
With dual gigabit Ethernet the DS412+ is rated for over 200MB/s of transfer speed when used with a capable network switch that supports 802.11ad. The NAS also has an eSATA port for additional storage and dual USB 3.0 ports for external drives, flash devices or printers.
The other side of the NAS is branded like the first side we looked at.
Inside the NAS we found a backplane that was physically compatible with SAS drives, but not electrical. We plugged in a Seagate SAS drive from our collection; the DS412+ wouldn't recognize it.
Often overlooked but always appreciated, the DS412+ has dense rubber feet to absorb vibrations before they are transferred to your desk or office furniture.
The drive sleds also use rubber grommets to reduce vibration. The sleds themselves are made of plastic and this also aids in reducing vibrations. When you get vibration in the NAS, you increase the noise generated.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [Synology DS412+]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Inno3D intros new P104-100 Crypto-Mining Accelerator card
- NVIDIA TITAN V teardown reveals beautiful GV100 GPU
- Litecoin doubles in price to $317, isn't slowing down at all
- Ethereum reaches a new record high price of $637
- Hideo Kojima talks new Death Stranding details
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus New 64GB SM-G955UZKAXAA $824
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series