Strontium HAWK Series 120GB
Strontium isn't doing much to hide the fact that this drive is actually a SK Hynix SH910 SSD. I know for some of you that will increase your interest in this review. The SK Hynix 910 Series was first spotted for sale in Korea back in June. These drives are advertised in four capacity sizes - 120GB, 128GB, 240GB and 256GB. The larger capacity sizes are most likely free of RAISE.
Keeping with firsts, I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've seen a white SSD. The finish of the paint is really nice and even. The case finish actually makes the drive feel like it's made of ceramic and not aluminum.
Several of the 7mm drives we've tested feel flimsy, but the HAWK is a solid drive that doesn't flex when you breathe on it like the Corsair Neutron we tested last month.
Here we see the 7mm z-height. All of the standard 2.5" form factor mounting points are where they should be. They don't change till we get to 5mm next year. That means you can use the HAWK Series in your desktop with an adapter bracket (not included) and your regular notebook.
The SATA power and data connectors are offset to where they should be.
There isn't much happening on this side of the PCB other than the SandForce SF-2281 controller and a couple of surface mount components.
The SF-2281 is an 8-channel controller and Strontium populated all of the channels with 26nm Hynix synchronous MLC flash.
Here is a close up of the flash that's labeled H27QDG8VEBIR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Remedy teases new RTX filled trailer of Control at GDC 2019
- Nightdive teases 20-minute video of System Shock remake
- Warren Spector debuts System Shock 3 pre-alpha preview
- Unity Engine shines bright in 'The Heretic' tech demo at GDC
- DOOM Eternal runs at 4K 60FPS on Google Stadia in the cloud
- ASUS RT-AX88U Wi-Fi 6 Router Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING X & VENTUS XS Review
- Halloween 4K Blu-ray Review
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Killing Floor: Double Feature Coming May 21, 2019 to PlayStation Store and Game Retailers Near You
- Critically acclaimed retro platformer The Messenger hits PlayStation 4 today
- OMG Zombies! to invade Nintendo Switch on the 26th March!
- LEGO DC Super-Villains Releases Batman: The Animated Series Level Pack
- Super Crome: Bullet Purgatory Enters the Steam Early Access Atmosphere Today