When it's come to the OC Edition label that Sapphire throw on a number of their video cards, it's been a little bit hit and miss. We say that because we've seen in recent times Sapphire uses the OC label and then add only 20MHz extra to the core and nothing on the memory side of things.
Today, though, Sapphire has used the OC tag on the HD 7850 and thrown in a nice bump in clock speeds which sees another 60MHz on the core and an extra 200MHz QDR on the 2GB of GDDR5 onboard memory. You can see that helps result in some nice performance with the 60 FPS number we aim for being with in only an FPS or two in a number of intensive games.
Alongside the normal "typical" performance numbers, we can see the cooler also does a fantastic job as the card sits nearly at the bottom of our graph when it comes to heat and noise levels sit in the middle of the pack.
Outside of that, though, we see the bundle Sapphire has put together is really strong and stands out when compared to what you'd normally expect from a video card in this price range. The biggest stand outs would be the inclusion of the full length HDMI cable and the MiniDP to DP connector that we still see a lot of companies skip on, even on higher end models.
While the OC model of the card we're looking at today can't be found over at Newegg, the non-OC version which carries the same cooler comes in at a very solid $239.99 and is one of the cheapest Radeon HD 7850's available. The overclock that Sapphire offers us today is going to set you back around the $15 mark in retail form and if you're not interested in overclocking yourself, it's a good option.
If you're looking at spending around the $250 mark then this is a really nice option that's made even more attractive by the fact that NVIDIA continue to offer us nothing new in this price range. While the GTX 660 series is due next month; information continues to be quite hard to find.
For now, if you're looking at spending around that mid $200 area, the HD 7850 is a fantastic option and the version we've got from Sapphire here today is really nice with that great out of the box overclock, strong cooler and excellent bundle helping it stand out from the pack.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Psyonix introduces new cosmetic Rocket Pass system
- Steam gives option to view user accounts 'total spendings'
- Sony launch PlayStation Hits, amazing titles for only $20
- Former Sony boss says cross-play block is 'money' related
- Kingdom Hearts III story re-explained by series of videos
- Asus X401A Laptop will not boot despite several replaced components -- Second attempt
- DDR4-3400 - Ryzen 7 1800x & Ryzen 7 2700x - X370 & X470
- LaCie DJI Co-Pilot 2TB Review
- Dumb question regarding moderator approval
- ASUS ProArt PA27AC Monitor: The Best Workstation Monitor?!
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit