GeForce FX 5900 Ultra in Detail
nVidia is aiming to remedy all of the problems of NV30 core with the new FX 5900 (NV35) series. Obviously, this is not a completely new design, but a lot of details have been changed and improved.
The NV35 is built on the .13 micron process just like the NV30 and NV31. We do get a few new buzzwords with this release, CineFX 2.0 and Intellisample HCT, which we will go over a bit later. There are a few big improvements for the NV35 over the NV30. The hardest hitting change is the use of a 256-bit memory bus. You will recall the ATI Radeon 9700/Pro and 9800/Pro already uses a 256-bit memory bus. Now the NV35 utilizes this bus width as well, allowing for much more bandwidth to be processed when compared to the NV30. Another addition is the use of 256MB total video card RAM on the high end GeForceFX 5900 Ultra board. This added memory will give you more room for framebuffer functions such as resolution and AA settings combined with texture storage.
The GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ships at an 850MHz DDR memory speed on a 256-bit memory bus, which produces a total of 27.2GB/sec of raw memory bandwidth. That is a 70% increase in raw memory bandwidth over the GeForceFX 5800 Ultra and 21% more raw bandwidth when compared to the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB. However, this is still a 4 pixel pipeline card.
Many gamers and definitely all hardware testers will be relieved to know that the new cooling solution sounds a lot less like a vacuum cleaner and operates at a much more bearable volume.
- Ultra Shadow
CineFX 2.0 is the name given to the cinematic quality part of the NV35. This is where the 2x increase in shader ops comes into play as well as the Ultrashadow technology and 128-bit internal precision.
Ultrashadow is nVidia's name for a new routine in the NV35 to help accelerate shadow volumes. As you know, shadow volumes will be a big part in Doom III, and any card that wants to compete with the big boys will need to be able to handle these extensive stencil shadows very efficiently. The easiest way to think about Ultrashadow is simply to visualize that the card is not calculating shadows that cannot be seen by the camera. Meaning that shadows behind an object on your computer screen, or out of view of your character (or you), are not given to the GPU to figure out. Therefore, the 5900 Ultra is not doing work that needs not be done, giving those saved GPU cycles for other priorities.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SEGA teases upcoming Sonic Racing game information
- Intel's new Coffee Lake-based 8C/16T chip spotted again
- GeForce GTX 1050 3GB released: 768 CUDA cores, 96-bit bus
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 locked at 60FPS on all consoles
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 in 2019 with single-player
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit