You can read more about TweakTown's Storage Product Testing Workstation and the procedures followed to test products in this article.
In order to fully utilize SATA III you need a system with native SATA III support. P67, Z68, Z77 and X79 systems are preferred, but AMD has made advances in their newer SATA III systems as well. Older X58 systems with Marvell based SATA III ports do not deliver the same high levels of performance, so we recommend newer systems when available.
ATTO Baseline Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.34
ATTO is used by many disk manufacturers to determine the read and write speeds that will be presented to customers.
What we really like about this drive is it doesn't ship with the TRIM killing firmware from SandForce. OCZ has their own naming system for firmware so we weren't sure if this was 3.3.2 or 3.3.4, but it was definitely not 5.0.1 or 5.0.2. What that means is you still have working TRIM and when OCZ's version of 5.0.3 comes out with working TRIM, you'll get a nice performance increase too. The 5 series firmware is around 10% to 15% faster than the older 3 series.
That said, the Vertex 3 480GB does take a performance hit when compared to the 240GB and even the 120GB. Can you really complain though about 540MB/s read speed and 460MB/s write speed? We didn't think so and even the most critical of performance have to admit that having 480GB of SSD capacity is means you can trade off some performance and still walk away with a big smile. This goes double for notebook users who don't have the space to install more than one SSD.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ataribox sounds like risky business
- ENERMAX release the EQUILENCE, a high-end silent case
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 receives first major patch
- NVIDIA goes all-in with AI for the 'goodness of mankind'
- NVIDIA GeForce 385.69 WHQL drivers released
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 Printer Review
- Internet Download Manager Full
- Intel Core i9-7980XE and i9-7960X CPU Review
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K Blu-ray Review
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- GIGABYTE introduces Z370 AORUS motherboards
- Samsung starts producing industry's first universal flash storage for next-generation automotive applications
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card