I ran a small series of tests on the unit to see how well it performed on both a standard speed system and an overclocked one. The base system consisted of:
- Antec SX1030 Tower Case
- Abit KT7 (non-RAID)
- Thunderbird 1000
- Arctic Silver Thermal Compound
- 256MB PC133 CAS2 SDRAM
- Creative Annihilator2 GTS w/ 32MB
- Sound Blaster Live
- Western Digital 20.5GB @ 7200 rpm
I ran the tests with the processor clocked to 1000MHz and then again at 1100MHz. The overclocking was done by FSB settings to try to create a hotter processor. This gave results that showed how well it performs under both normal and excessive conditions. The testing itself consisted of monitoring the processor temperatures when the system was idle, after a heavy deathmatch of Quake3, and then after a looping of the demo included in 3dMark2001.
I had expected a little better performance from the Monster unit than I saw here. These results (especially in the 1100MHz test) nearly mirrored the results from the OCZ Glacier 2 heatsink. I'm figuring that the 40mm circle of copper was the main determining factor in the similarity of the results. It is the same copper insert in both units, and they provided near identical temperatures. They also use the same 36-CFM fan mounted to the sink.
But the end result is still one of a good cooler that can handle the task of keeping the processor running at a reasonable temperature...even when it is overclocked.
The OCZ Monster 2 HSF is a good performing unit that meets the demands that are expected of it. It keeps the processor running smooth so that you can try to keep getting more out of it. Even though it performed nearly equally to its younger sibling, it is still a solid performer that will meet your needs when it comes time to push your system to the limits. It also comes in at a price that is well below others that fall in the same performance group.
it's features like the polished base, the copper insert, and the large sink make it a strong competitor for your cooling dollars. It would still be nice, however, is the OCZ folks would change out the retention clip and add a fan grill. Though not necessities, they are always welcome additions to any HSF.
And if you are looking for a cooler that doesn't make that noisy whine of the Delta units that are around, then take a serious look at this model. The noise is much more tolerable and it still provides good cooling all around.
Bottom line... While this cooler is not the best performing model to be had, it is a good unit that is quiet, reliable and won't leave your wallet empty.
Rating - 8/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard