The results here today are quite interesting and what you see is under some of the most intensive games at the highest resolution, the HIS HD 7850 IceQ X TurboX CrossFire setup falls behind some of our higher end single GPU options. This isn't the first time we've seen this actually, not so much in a CrossFire setup, but when we've had heavily overclocked mid-range models.
What we tend to see is that the smaller memory bus comes into play more and at the higher resolution it's just being flooded giving the higher end cards a chance to come out ahead. Although, we see the dual mid-range video card setups come out sometimes considerably ahead at the lower resolution. I think one of the important things to note, though, is that we're getting very playable FPS out of the setup still when this happens and you can see throughout our testing there was times where this setup was the only one able to break the 60 FPS barrier.
This setup today also shows the power of the overclocked HD 7970 GHz Edition which has just launched. Unfortunately the model is still yet to hit the retail market leaving the actual price a little unknown. On the topic of price, this is also going to be one of the dictating factors when it comes to buying this setup. A pair of the HD 7850 IceQ X Turbo X cards are going to set you back $569.98 or $284.99 each. This compares to a GTX 680 that is going to cost you $519 - $549 depending on the brand and an original HD 7970 $429 - $459.
The option on what setup to go isn't so cut and dry. Compared to the original HD 7970, this CrossFire setup is a good chunk faster. Compared to the GTX 680, it depends what you're playing and what resolution you're playing at. The good news for this kind of setup, though, is that it is not loud, nor does it run that hot either. It also looks fantastic and overall we see some awesome performance with it quite often being the fastest setup that we tested.
The CrossFire setup has a certain coolness factor about it and the quality of the cooler we're seeing out of HIS draws us towards this setup even more. Gone are the days where multi GPU setups really cause any kind of problems. In the end we'd probably opt for this option, especially since these cards are a lot more readily available than the GTX 680 which continues to struggle with stock.
Getting a little more specific on the HIS HD 7850 IceQ X TurboX, though, we've just got a great all round card here. HIS have offered a really good out of the box overclock that helps bring strong performance. The cooler looks fantastic and you can see in CrossFire it performs extremely well looking at the numbers. The bundle is pretty typical and comes with everything you need and the price point while a bit more expensive than other HD 7850s is still very strong thanks to the excellent performance that's on offer from the card.
If you're after a HD 7850 that is going to perform strong this is an excellent one that manages to tick a lot of the boxes. If you're looking for some really strong performance, though, you could look at two if you've got the cash. Checking out the performance today you can see a really nice boost in performance that lets it more often than not easily compete with the high-end single GPU options.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo signals 3DS retirement, ignores it in presentation
- Switch digital revenue nearly doubles, software up 86%
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!