AMD's Radeon HD 7970 in itself is a good video card and the GHz Edition is slightly better thanks to that boost in performance. I think what's more exciting about the GHz Edition from AMD, though, is going to be what partners do with it. With a 125MHz overclock on the core, AMD have clearly been holding some cherry picked GPUs to the side to make room for this model.
We wonder just how cherry picked they are and what will companies like Sapphire, MSI and HIS to name just a few be able to do with these cherry picked GPUs. This brings with it another problem, though. Availability could be an issue for this model as it is reliant on chips that are capable of higher speeds. We can't deny that the GTX 680 continues to have stock issues as we see many brands are sold out. Unlike a few weeks ago, though, not all brands are sold out and you're actually able to buy one now.
When it comes to overall performance as well we're a little all over the place. Deciding if this card is right to you when compared to the NVIDIA offerings is ultimately going to depend on the resolution you play at because no matter what game you play or what engine that game is using, it's clear that AMD does better at 2560 x 1600 when compared to NVIDIA.
As you move down the resolution table you see the balance in speed shift with the NVIDIA offerings take the lead. If you're gaming at 2560 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 we'd find it easier to recommend the HD 7970 GHz Edition over the GTX 680. At the lower resolutions, though, you'd probably lean towards the NVIDIA offering.
If this is what AMD needed to shift the lime light back over to them I'm not too sure and I guess the only way we will truly know is as time goes on. We wish we were testing the dual GPU offering from AMD today, though, instead of what is essentially a pre-overclocked HD 7970.
Keep an eye out for our overclock article in the coming days as we see just what this video card is capable of, though. AMD are already looking stronger than NVIDIA when it comes to typical air cooled overclocking on its top end video card. We'll see if the GHz Edition of the HD 7970 is able to cement that even further.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Snoop Dogg receives first copy of Spyro Reignited via drone
- First live action Pokemon Detective Pikachu trailer released
- NES Controller pre-order available for Switch Online members
- PlayStation's Black Friday Sale: $199 = 1TB PS4 + Spider-Man
- New Jump Force fighters: SSGSS Vegeta/Goku & Golden Frieza
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- OLM to PST Converter
- Asustor AS6302T 2-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms