Intel has certainly made a good move on their support for the Pentium 4. Due to early Rambus agreements Intel were unable to take advantage of the DDR standards, and when these contracts expired, Intel fell behind in the DDR war. Chipsets from VIA, while battling law suits, certainly had a much more impressive chipset, and with SiS getting the full approval from Intel to build Pentium 4 based chipsets Intel's own solutions were somewhat outdated before then came to pass.
Intel's first real attempt to improve its DDR standings for the Pentium 4 was the E7205 chipset. This gave the first Dual Channel DDR chipset for the Pentium 4. While only supporting DDR-266 memory, it still was able to take out the I845 series easily.
Release of the Canterwood showed us that Intel was serious about DDR in supporting a memory standard that the JEDEC still haven't made any headway on approving - and from Intel that is certainly saying something. The major problem of the Canterwood was price; Springdale has been brought in to solve this problem.
Springdale's basic features are almost identical to the Canterwood, with two out of three of the variations supporting the 800MHz FSB, one with graphics and one simple for the merging the 533FSB processors in to the Dual Channel DDR realm. Springdale's performance is above what we would have expected from a cut down Canterwood, so our expectations of this chipset have been met and far exceeded.
With support for all the major Canterwood improvements at a fraction of the cost, Springdale is soon to become the weapon of choice for the mainstream users and hardcore games who don't want to spend a fortune on Canterwood boards.
800MHz FSB on I865PE and G
Dual Channel DDR memory support
CSA Network Interface
Native Serial ATA
RAID available on ICH5R
Built In Graphics on I865G
I865G graphics slow
Performance hit due to lack of PAT
Rating 9.5 out of 10 and TweakTown Editors Choice
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 1 [Introduction]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 2 [Springdale in Detail]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 3 [I865P - 533FSB Only]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 4 [I865PE - The Cheap Canterwood]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 5 [I865G - Intel Extreme 2 Graphics]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 6 [Common Features in Detail]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Real World System Productivity]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 10 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- I865 "Springdale" - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit