For years, hardcore enthusiasts have looked at thermoelectric cooling as an option when it comes to keeping the processor cool. For those new to the overclocking arena, this type of cooling system is also referred to as a peltier cooler.
To try to keep things simple, the way that it works is something like this
When two metallic materials that are dissimilar are connected and have an electrical current flow through them, it produces the effect that the peltier cooler is known for. It causes one side to become hot and the other side to become cold. When this cold side is placed against a processor core, it helps keep the processor cool. A standard heatsink and fan setup can then be placed on the hot side to help dissipate the heat created by the peltier unit.
Of course, since we are talking about a small scale product that is made to cool a very small processor core, the amount of cooling can be rather limited. This limit is measured in watts, or the wattage of heat created that it can effectively dissipate. The higher the wattage of the peltier unit, the more heat that it can get rid of.
If the heat being emitted by the processor exceeds the rating of the peltier unit, then we will see a rapid rise in the temperature of the processor core. Since we're not talking about a fan doing the actual cooling, we see that the rise in temperature as a bit more dramatic than normal.
Of course, one of the primary drawbacks to the peltier cooling system is the fact that when a peltier unit goes bad, it usually does so immediately without any sort of a warning. This has been the cause of more than one processor finding itself burned up. But with the lower powered units, it isn't much an issue.
So now that we have a general idea as to the working of thermoelectric cooling, lets start delving into this new alternative cooler from Thermaltake!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Father of Sonic joins Square Enix to work on new game
- Stardew Valley was the most downloaded Switch game in 2017
- Vive Pro's recommended PC specs may get bumped up
- Sony and Nike make official PS2 shoes
- Games industry may make $170 billion in 2018, firm predicts
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series