For years, hardcore enthusiasts have looked at thermoelectric cooling as an option when it comes to keeping the processor cool. For those new to the overclocking arena, this type of cooling system is also referred to as a peltier cooler.
To try to keep things simple, the way that it works is something like this
When two metallic materials that are dissimilar are connected and have an electrical current flow through them, it produces the effect that the peltier cooler is known for. It causes one side to become hot and the other side to become cold. When this cold side is placed against a processor core, it helps keep the processor cool. A standard heatsink and fan setup can then be placed on the hot side to help dissipate the heat created by the peltier unit.
Of course, since we are talking about a small scale product that is made to cool a very small processor core, the amount of cooling can be rather limited. This limit is measured in watts, or the wattage of heat created that it can effectively dissipate. The higher the wattage of the peltier unit, the more heat that it can get rid of.
If the heat being emitted by the processor exceeds the rating of the peltier unit, then we will see a rapid rise in the temperature of the processor core. Since we're not talking about a fan doing the actual cooling, we see that the rise in temperature as a bit more dramatic than normal.
Of course, one of the primary drawbacks to the peltier cooling system is the fact that when a peltier unit goes bad, it usually does so immediately without any sort of a warning. This has been the cause of more than one processor finding itself burned up. But with the lower powered units, it isn't much an issue.
So now that we have a general idea as to the working of thermoelectric cooling, lets start delving into this new alternative cooler from Thermaltake!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard hiring 17 devs for new Diablo game
- Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed on PS4, Xbox One
- Ronda Rousey will voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI
- Lord of the Rings 'Tolkien' biopic movie gets release date
- New Anthem gameplay details: story, progress & customizing
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media