Test Subject and Installation
The victim of the torture I will be trying to deliver to the EK-FC7950[EN] is this video card supplied by HIS, my shiny and new HD7950 IceQ Turbo with a reference PCB design, although this version does have the blue colored PCB.
With this card, both the cooler and the support frame for the card must be removed to allow the EK solution to sit correctly with the card. Since I also have the backplate, the removal of the support frame is of little consequence here.
As per the instructions I cut the 0.5mm thick silicone and applied it to the memory ICs and the PWM area to the right. At this point I am ready to install the block portion of this assembly.
Since I was applying thermal pads, I figured I should go ahead and prep the backplate with the strip to keep the PWM circuitry on top cool as well.
I jumped ahead, added some TIM to the core and went ahead and set the four screws that hold the water block in place until you get to the mounting of the backplate.
This shot is just to show that this is a single slot cooling solution and is why EK also offers a replacement bracket to free up unused slots inside of the chassis.
The EK-FC7950 Backplate is held in place with four screws that have beveled heads to fit down in the countersunk holes for a clean finished look. There is a pair of screws holding the right side to the PCB from underneath making for a very strong sandwich to keep the PCB straight under the weight of this block and backplate combination.
Once installed you can see that some concessions had to be made for clearance reasons, but even so, the cut-away in the block with the acrylic covering the caps and chokes looks kind of cool.
There is one other such place on the block where this was done, right between the pair of stickers on the side of the block.
All that was left was to set up the loop, add the Ekoolant and add some power to the system. I have to say that the UV blue coolant looks really nice against the nickel plating as it passed through the EF-FC7950[EN].
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [EK-FC7950[EN] Full Cover GPU Water Block]
- Page 5 [EK-FC7950 Backplate and EK-Ekoolant]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [Test Subject and Installation]
- Page 8 [Thermal and Audio Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PUBG coming to PS4 this December for $30
- Snoop Dogg receives first copy of Spyro Reignited via drone
- First live action Pokemon Detective Pikachu trailer released
- NES Controller pre-order available for Switch Online members
- PlayStation's Black Friday Sale: $199 = 1TB PS4 + Spider-Man
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- OLM to PST Converter
- Asustor AS6302T 2-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms