With good reason OCZ didn't send reviewers the smallest capacity Vertex 4 for the big launch last month. The 128GB size looked puny on paper with a little whimper of write performance, just 200MB/s. The read performance was pretty good at 535MB/s, but in our initial review of the larger models, the single thread read speed was around just 200MB/s. That would of left the Vertex 4 128GB in a cat fight against some very impressive SATA III drives, all of which are capable of breaking 200MB/s even when 90% full of data.
Yesterday we published an article with a new firmware for the Vertex 4 series. At the time we didn't have a 128GB drive on hand to test, but a new day brings new adventures. The new firmware we tested yesterday was version 1.4 R4 and it was a reviewer only release. OCZ has now sorted out a few bugs and the firmware version is up to 1.4 R6. This new R6 revision is available on OCZ's website in the firmware update section so we don't feel like we're teasing you with a piece of software that you can't get on your own now.
With the new firmware OCZ's baby Vertex 4 grows up a bit. The whimper is now an adult roar and the stated performance shows it. The read speed has increased from 535MB/s to 550MB/s, right in line with the Vertex 3 models which OCZ is looking to bury in the pages of history. The largest improvement comes in the write category, now a respectable 420MB/s - up from the 200MB/s at launch day.
In just one month's time the OCZ Vertex 4 went from being an outcast of the pride to a true contender for king of the 128GB jungle.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rune: Ragnarok receives teaser trailer, screenshots & PC req
- Hi-Rez Studios announces creation of 3 distinct new studios
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- Samsung's new GDDR6 should power next-gen GeForce RTX 2080
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution