Chaintech might be one of the most liberal with their portfolio but when a board comes out it stands out in the crowd.
Layout of the board was on par with 99% of the Pentium 4 market, with only that 1% pulling off the perfect layout. Cable clearances and placements of the IDE, FDD and 20 pin socket were what we could class as being in the best possible places, with only the 4 pin being the one to complain about. The idea of colour coding isn't a totally new idea but it is one that we are glad to see Chaintech has included, this makes for setting up the Dual Channel memory much easier than having to go through the book to find the right slot for each configuration.
The onboard preferals were nothing short of great. Using the Intel Serial ATA controller to give RAID is a great bonus along with the trusted VIA Firewire controller. Adding Dual Ethernet was something that was a shock to us. While most of us don't need dual Ethernet, you can use it to boost your LAN speeds with dual ports on a router or switch, either way it's still nice to have two ports.
Overclocking on the board was good in that we managed to get some high FSB speeds out of the 9CJS, the only bad part on the FSB front is that it maxes out at 250, which might seem high but with a 2.6C 800FSB P4, 250MHz is a very limiting number. Voltages were pretty well high enough to gain a successful high end overclock, however, we would have liked to see more voltage steps for the CPU rather than 3 simple +0.1, +0.2 and +0.3
Overall the Chaintech 9CJS is defiantly at the head of the class at this stage released with some great features onboard and potential for future use.
VIA Envy 24bit Sound
Remote Control Access to PC
Placement of 4 pin ATX Connector
Limited FSB max
Too few CPU voltage options
Rating: 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 3 [Features]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking Results]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra 2003]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 7 [Benchmarks - System and Multimedia Productivity]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 9 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel Core i9-9900K rumor: 8C/16T at a huge 5.5GHz on Aug 1
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole DLC release date unveil
- 1 hour of gameplay footage released for Forza Horizon 4
- VirtualLink: next-gen VR over a single USB Type-C cable
- World of Warcraft expansions, now only a $15 subscription
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit