Toshiba Dynadock U3.0
Let's do the 360 shuffle and then come back in for a closer look. The actual dock itself is very light, but the base has a bit of weight to it. We suspect inside the base is a steel panel. This is important because the weight of the cables, especially DVI could have been an issue with tipping the unit over. Toshiba eliminated that with the heavy base.
On the front we have two USB 3.0 ports that are always on for charging devices. Also on the front we found two 3.5mm audio jacks that are included for headset / microphone combinations.
We love the look of piano black when devices are new, but the surface is so smooth that micro scratches show up almost right out of the box. Piano black also shows finger prints like no other surface known to man. At my home I have several devices that are piano black, it was a feature on all of the Pioneer A/V receivers and even a Pioneer plasma TV that I use for gaming. They are nice to look at, but don't touch them unless you have to. When you do touch them you have to wipe the finger prints off or they will drive you up the wall since they stick out that much.
On this side is a security hole, the same type found on most notebooks and high dollar accessories that you don't want to walk off.
Nearly all of the connections are on the back of the device which is good because you don't want to see a cable cluster on your clean desktop.
Nothing of interest can be found on the other side. The unit is around 3 inches deep though and that goes out to around 4.5 or 5 inches with the base.
Here we see the close up of the back of the Dynadock U3.0. Everything is laid out well and you even have a decent amount of room for your USB devices. Going from left to right we have the three audio output channels that provide 5.1 audio. Next are the USB ports, two 3.0 and two 2.0 for attaching your permanent devices like mice, keyboards, printers and so on. The gigabit Ethernet is next down the line, a nice addition to the feature list. Then the dual video outputs, one DVI and one HDMI with audio out. Finally we have the host system connection which is a single USB 3.0 port. Just beside that is the power plug that provides power to the dock and the always on USB ports in the front.
With the top off of the Dynadock U3.0 we can see the inside of the unit.
In the middle we found a DisplayLink chip with a Nanya memory chip linked to it.
Just off to the side of the DisplayLink chip we found two VIA VL-811UDB 3.0 chips. This is VIA's second generation USB 3.0 product. Each VL-811 chips can handle direct communication with four devices. With two onboard, we now know how Toshiba was able to include so many USB ports on the Dynadock U3.0.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Luigi's Mansion 3 has a spooky Halloween debut, October 31
- PUBG's backstory is a Lex Luthor puppetmaster fantasy dream
- Human-based AI solves Rubik's Cube in 28 moves, 1.2 seconds
- Humans search for alien interstellar Morse code with arrays
- Elon Musk's Neuralink head DRILLING tests begin next year
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Review
- NZXT H500i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- closing explorer.exe cause unstable mouse movement
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT benchmarked at 3440x1440
- Royale Pass Season 8 And More Graces PUBG Mobile's Battlefield In Time For New Version Update
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall Retail Versions Now Available for Pre-Order
- Night Call - A Noire Novella Investigative Game - Out Now on Steam and Xbox Game Pass for PC
- Edge of Eternity gets third chapter 'The Reunion' in major update today
- Asmodee Digital Kicks Off Early Access for Gloomhaven With a Brand New Launch Trailer