Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are lower than that of the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU, we can only test it to 1000W.
The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V rail, we see 2% regulation from with a total drop of .12V from start to finish. The 5V rail also stayed within 2% voltage regulation and displayed a total drop of .10V. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was again within 2% with a total voltage drop of .06V.
DC output quality was excellent from start to finish. Starting out, we were able to see a ripple on the scope during Test 1 where we measured noise at a low 16mV peak to peak. This steadily increased as the loads also increased. By the time we had reached around 50% load, the unit ripple had crept up to 24mV. Under Test 6, we saw that the noise on the 12V rail had crept up to 27mV. This is representative of 83% of the total output of this power supply.
The Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU is rated for 80Plus Gold efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 87%/90%/87% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the Silent Pro Gold had no trouble achieving this while on our test bench.
It is very apparent that this unit speaks for itself. Cooler Master offers up yet another feature packed power supply that enthusiasts are sure to enjoy. Build quality is exceptional and performance is nearly phenomenal. Once again, we really have to nitpick to find things that aren't perfect.
The unit performs very well all the way around and is nearly identical to what we saw from the Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W unit. Voltage regulation was great and this unit offers one of the most stable 12V rails we have ever seen. DC output quality was amazing and barely changed from Test 1 through Test 6. Efficiency for the unit was also right where it should be. Even though we weren't able to test the unit to full load, we have absolutely no reason to believe that the unit would have come even close to failing in any of our tests.
Short of the test results not being 100% perfect, the only real complaint we have with the Silent Pro Gold 1200W is that the FDD connector is forced upon us with one of the modular cables and not included as an adapter. When you have to go that far to find something to fault a unit, it almost feels as if you are digging into a personal preference, but that isn't the case. We are fairly certain that less than five percent of individuals who purchase this unit will need the FDD connector and of those, they would all be very happy to see the connector included as an adapter.
After going through all of this, it is very easy to realize that the Silent Pro Gold 1200W is simply a Silent Pro Hybrid with a few of the features stripped from it. That leaves us asking ourselves, "what do you get when you strip some of frills from an over-the-top enthusiast power supply, keep the performance and offer it for $60 less than the original?"
You get a power supply that represents the pure need of enthusiasts. Pure performance. Pure quality. Pure excellence. Keep up the great work, Cooler Master!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gearbox hiring writer for Borderlands 3
- Take-Two: Microtransactions help buffer risk of new IP
- UK official responds to lootbox petition
- Rocket League hosts Halloween event 'Haunted Hallows'
- Team Liquid wins SL i-League Invitational Season 3
- EK Fluid Gaming: Water-Cooled Gaming PC Build Guide
- Thecus® N2350 & N4350 the most affordable Home NAS series now available worldwide
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce GTX 1080 Vulcan X OC Review
- South Park: The Fractured But Hole Review
- NVIDIA locks overclocking in GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz