There is just so much to love about the SST-GD08 and I know I am going to leave something out as I hype all the others in this design. I really enjoyed the drive cage at the front. Most HTPC case barely give you room for a slim optical and a 2.5" drive, that just isn't so here, the GD08 can house up to fourteen drives with both storage and optical drives in that count.
If the looks and the storage don't sell you on this design, think about the motherboard compatibility - I mean it took my ATX motherboard and HD7950 with absolutely no issues at all and it can take much, much more. The wiring is kept basic, but is long enough to get the HD Audio and USB 3.0 connections on and with the added clips in the hardware kit, wiring it easily managed in this chassis.
I wanted to give the air flow and implementation of the dust filters in this chassis their own spotlight of discussion. The positive pressure inside the GD08 created from the three 18 dB fans that turn at 900 RPM are already pretty quiet on their own. With the use of the specifically designed frames in the steel and the dust filter combination, you literally have to put your ear within an inch or two of the chassis to hear anything at all and I'm not sure that wasn't the GPU fan that could have been audible from inside the chassis. The only thing I found a bit lacking here is that I would have like Molex adapters to power the fans so I didn't have to plug them into my motherboard headers, but that is personal preference and has little effect on the chassis as a whole.
Since I have started reviewing cases, HTPCs have evolved from media streaming rigs that were ITX based and relatively low powered, and are being replaced with full power, ready to handle anything builds inside of them. This is where SilverStone is going to take the market by storm. It used to be that in order to house a build like I just did somewhere close to the TV, it was in a mid tower, or even a full tower gaming chassis that isn't exactly matching of any decor.
For a measly $145.99 you can get the SST-GD08B, house anything from a low power net cruiser to a multi-card power house that has so much room for storage drives you can easily stack 3TB drives in this case for a total of 30TB of storage and it still has room for a couple of SSDs to run the OS.
There has never been a case that has come across my desk that is so perfect to what I see the trend in HTPC chassis users desiring, but until now weren't able to buy.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SilverStone Grandia SST-GD08B HTPC Chassis]
- Page 5 [Inside the SilverStone SST-GD08B]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [The Build and Final Product]
- Page 8 [The Build and Final Product Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Don't walk - run for our 'Walking Dead' Blu-ray giveaway!
- 124 Switch games require paid subscription to play online
- Telltale Games shuts down, future games likely cancelled
- Capcom sell limited-edition classic Mega Man 2/X cartridges
- Intel increases 905P Optane SSD capacities to 1.5TB
- Crucial BX500 SSD Review - Fewer Components, Lower Prices
- Laptop won't turn on after battery died
- For Sale [5Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $3,995CAD
- ASUS Garage Mod AIO Gaming Rig: 8700K TITAN X 3440x1440
- DLink HD Wi-Fi Camera 8300LH Review
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games