Features of the Tyan Tachyon 9500 Pro
Package, Contents and The Card
Tyan use a rather compact box for the 9500 Pro, which suggests the product is more focused towards the budget, without too many bells and whistles. One noteworthy feature is that Tyan prints the core and memory speed on the front of the box, so you know how fast you card is running before you buy it.
The card comes with the standard DVI, VGA, and TV-Out connectors. There is a Tachyon Graphics Monitor manual included as well as a Tachyon Graphics Line quick installation guide. They even have a complete user's guide. The CD includes Catalyst Driver version 3.1 and control panel along with DirectX 8.1b. WinDVD 4.0 is also included on the CD. A power cable is also provided if you need to split power off from a device for this card.
Between the heatsink and the connector panel you will find two micro dip switches. One controls the TV output signal, on gives you NTSC output and off gives PAL TV output. The other dipswitch is a mystery to us to this day.
VPU, Cut down 9700
Using the Radeon 9500 Pro VPU (Virtual Processing Unit) the Tachyon 9500 Pro is basically a cut done 9700. First off the memory bus has been reduced from 256bit to 128bit. Next the Pixel engine has been reduced from 8 to 4. This is the only difference between the two.
From the picture above you can see that the heatsink used on the Tachyon is rather different than that used by ATI and many other ATI producers. This design is a three way system separating the main core HSF unit from the two separate RAM sinks which is a very welcome design compared to most in the industry. While looking smaller in design the most heatsinks it does a better job of keeping the VPU cool under stock and overclocked speeds.
Memory, 128MB monster
Tyan, unlike most 9500 and 9500 Pro manufacturers, adds ramskinks to their video card. Gigabyte, Sapphire, Leadtek and even ATI themselves simply leave the ram bare; this is because at stock speeds the ram doesn't heat up much, Tyan has prepared for the overclockers. Both sides are populated with four modules of Hynix 3.6ns TinyBGA memory chips with heatsinks plugged to both sides. This is a great feature as it allows better overclocking of the memory than any other 9500 Pro cards on the market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Tachyon 9500 Pro - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Tachyon 9500 Pro - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Tachyon 9500 Pro - Page 3 [Features]
- Tachyon 9500 Pro - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System and Synthetic]
- Tachyon 9500 Pro - Page 5 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Tachyon 9500 Pro - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Tachyon 9500 Pro - Page 7 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit