On the testbed front you're not going to find anything that you haven't really seen in our other Z77 motherboard reviews. So with everything above really painting the picture of our testbed, we can get into the overclocking side of things to see just what the MSI Z77A-GD65 was capable of achieving.
When it comes to overclocking we head back into the BIOS and adjust our voltages to where they need to be and then push our multiplier up to 46x which brings us in at 4.6GHz when combined with the 100 BCLK.
Straight away we got into Windows, so we rebooted and headed back to the BIOS and tried the 47x multiplier. Again we got straight into Windows, so I thought we'd try our luck for the 48x multiplier to run at 4.8GHz.
Our machine booted straight away and we got into Windows. With everything looking good we fired up MediaEspresso, probably the most intensive CPU benchmark we run and got started. Within a few seconds MediaEspresso crashed.
So we headed back to the BIOS, move back to the 47x multiplier and then pushed our BCLK up to get 4.8GHz thinking maybe the system just didn't like the 48x multiplier. We also boosted the voltage slightly to 1.35v on the vCore. While we got back into Windows and got a little further in MediaEspresso, it did eventually crash again. 4.8GHz just wasn't going to happen for us today, so it was time to just do a bit of fine tuning with the BCLK to find that sweet spot.
As you can see above we ended up with a 101.25 BCLK alongside the 47x multiplier to give us a total speed of 4758MHz or 4.76GHz as illustrated in our graphs today.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GTA 6 may be shorter than GTA V with more multiplayer focus
- Todd Howard: I'd rather spend longer on a game than rush it
- Free Monster Hunter World: Iceborne beta coming to PS4
- PS5 is 'more of the same' says PlatinumGames
- Bethesda's cancelled Terminator game had you play as a T-800
- Phison PS5016-E16 PCIe 4.0 SSD First Look Preview
- Update Intel RAID ROM - How to do it?
- Memblaze PBlaze5 C916 and D916 Enterprise SSD Review
- ASUS AX92U Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Review
- motherboard the turbo frequency varies permanently
- Pinball wizards rejoice! Marvelous Europe adds a juicy twist to the pinball game format in SENRAN KAGURA Peach Ball
- Dark Quest 2 Now Available on iOS and Android
- Novigrad is GWENT's second expansion. Pre-order offer now available!
- Dragon Ball FighterZ - World Tour Returns For A Second Round in 2019/2020
- Jurassic World Evolution: Claire's Sanctuary available now on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One