On the testbed front you're not going to find anything that you haven't really seen in our other Z77 motherboard reviews. So with everything above really painting the picture of our testbed, we can get into the overclocking side of things to see just what the MSI Z77A-GD65 was capable of achieving.
When it comes to overclocking we head back into the BIOS and adjust our voltages to where they need to be and then push our multiplier up to 46x which brings us in at 4.6GHz when combined with the 100 BCLK.
Straight away we got into Windows, so we rebooted and headed back to the BIOS and tried the 47x multiplier. Again we got straight into Windows, so I thought we'd try our luck for the 48x multiplier to run at 4.8GHz.
Our machine booted straight away and we got into Windows. With everything looking good we fired up MediaEspresso, probably the most intensive CPU benchmark we run and got started. Within a few seconds MediaEspresso crashed.
So we headed back to the BIOS, move back to the 47x multiplier and then pushed our BCLK up to get 4.8GHz thinking maybe the system just didn't like the 48x multiplier. We also boosted the voltage slightly to 1.35v on the vCore. While we got back into Windows and got a little further in MediaEspresso, it did eventually crash again. 4.8GHz just wasn't going to happen for us today, so it was time to just do a bit of fine tuning with the BCLK to find that sweet spot.
As you can see above we ended up with a 101.25 BCLK alongside the 47x multiplier to give us a total speed of 4758MHz or 4.76GHz as illustrated in our graphs today.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Western Digital Samples 1.33Tb QLC Die Flash
- Capcom add 'Torch Man' to the Mega Man 11 boss roster
- Kirby Star Allies: Daroach, Dark Meta Knight & more details
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit