Checking out the video card for the first time we've got a pretty mean looking setup in the VORTEX II cooler which consists of two fans, a massive heatsink and a number of heatpipes. Along with all this another stand out would be the black PCB which always looks great.
PowerColor claims that the cooler produces 13% more airflow, 15% less noise and drops the temperature by 12% compared to the reference model.
Having a look around the video card we can see at the back PowerColor has opted for a dual 8-pin PCIe power connector setup instead of the standard 6-pin + 8-pin setup that we see on most other HD 7970s. Close to the front of the video card we can see two CrossFire connectors and then next to that we've got a dual BIOS switch.
Moving over to the I/O side of things we can see a fairly standard setup here which gives us two Dual-Link DVI connectors along with a HDMI port and two MiniDP connectors to round off the connectivity side of things.
Before moving onto the specification side of things the way the fans work on the VORTEX II based video card is that they can be slightly raised to help increase airflow further. Looking above you can see them flat in the first picture and in the second one you can see them raised slightly.
This video card also implements what PowerColor call a "Platinum Power Kit" which says to provide 20% better stability than other Radeon HD 7970 video cards. This is achieved by using better "super capacitors", a digital PWM and other power features.
This being a PCS+ video card means that PowerColor has of course taken the time to overclock the HD 7970 straight out of the box. On the core front PowerColor has moved from the default 925MHz to a massive 1100MHz. As for the 3GB of GDDR5 that's been boosted from the stock 5500MHz QDR to 5700MHz QDR.
These are some really impressive overclocks, but we wanted to see how much more we could get out of the video card. As you can see above we pushed the core up to a strong 1200MHz while the 3GB of GDDR5 was pushed to a really strong 6200MHz QDR. This is a really strong overclock and should bring with it some very strong gains when compared to the reference clocked video card in our testbed today.
Overclocking Note - Our tested overclock speed is the maximum we could achieve with all of our tests 100% stable. You may be able to hit higher clock speeds, but we are after a completely stable gaming environment and not just stable under some games / tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo has no immediate plans for N64 mini
- Telltale begins dismantling business and liquidating assets
- THQ Nordic has 35 unannounced projects in development
- Metroid Prime 4 is 'well into development'
- Corsair keyboards and mice are coming to the Xbox One
- Asus 2-in-1 Q524UQ
- AMD Radeon RX 590 Review: The Refresh Of A Refresh Is Here
- Gigabyte Psu buzzing?
- Netgear Insight Business Storage and Networking Management
- EML to PST Converter
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions
- Lex Machina Expands Employment Litigation Analytics with Launch of ERISA Module
- L'Oreal Launches La Roche-Posay My Skin Track UV--The First Battery-Free Wearable Sun Safety Sensor
- Drobo Launches High Performance 8D to Transform Storage Workflows
- CORSAIR Announces Support for Xbox One