AMD's Radeon HD 7950 video card has been a model we've liked since its launch earlier in the year. Bringing both strong value and strong performance, there's little to complain about when it comes to buying a video card. And while NVIDIA still only have the GeForce GTX 680; AMD continue to dominate in key areas.
Today we'll be checking out the Radeon HD 7950 from VisionTek; a company that we've been seeing more and more of over recent months. Since we've looked at a number of HD 7950s already we decided that we'd overclock this one today to see just how performance is looking on the model when overclocked these days.
How's the HD 7950 go against the GTX 680 when we overclock the AMD offering? Priced at under $400 as well it's a good option for people who don't want to bust the bank account wide open. This is one of the main things we want to know today as we haven't tested an overclocked HD 7950 on the most recent drivers against a GTX 680.
Considering the $100 plus price difference between the models, we wonder if it's worth just spending a little bit of time overclocking to help boost performance higher and in turn save some money.
As always, though, there are a few things we need to do before we cover the performance side of things and the overclock. We'll start off by checking out what's going on with the box and bundle with the VisionTek HD 7950 before moving onto the video card itself.
Once we've done that we'll check out the specifications and also cover what kind of overclock we managed to achieve with the video card. Once that's done we'll quickly cover the other video cards we'll be using in our comparison before we get into the performance side of things to see what the overclock does for us.
Inside the package we've got a fairly basic setup with a Quick Install Guide, Driver CD, DVI to VGA connector and two dual Molex to 6-pin PCIe power connectors.
It's not a huge bundle by any stretch of the imagination, but a fairly typical one these days that really comes with everything you should need to get up and running.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony's PS4 DualShock 4 gamepad: the most popular controller
- Tekken 7 receives a free DLC to celebrate 1-year anniversary
- Batman: Arkham developer to announce Superman game before E3
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance's modding tools/DLC's will be free
- Stardew Valley mod adds MEGA farm: unlimited online players
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit