AMD's Radeon HD 7950 video card has been a model we've liked since its launch earlier in the year. Bringing both strong value and strong performance, there's little to complain about when it comes to buying a video card. And while NVIDIA still only have the GeForce GTX 680; AMD continue to dominate in key areas.
Today we'll be checking out the Radeon HD 7950 from VisionTek; a company that we've been seeing more and more of over recent months. Since we've looked at a number of HD 7950s already we decided that we'd overclock this one today to see just how performance is looking on the model when overclocked these days.
How's the HD 7950 go against the GTX 680 when we overclock the AMD offering? Priced at under $400 as well it's a good option for people who don't want to bust the bank account wide open. This is one of the main things we want to know today as we haven't tested an overclocked HD 7950 on the most recent drivers against a GTX 680.
Considering the $100 plus price difference between the models, we wonder if it's worth just spending a little bit of time overclocking to help boost performance higher and in turn save some money.
As always, though, there are a few things we need to do before we cover the performance side of things and the overclock. We'll start off by checking out what's going on with the box and bundle with the VisionTek HD 7950 before moving onto the video card itself.
Once we've done that we'll check out the specifications and also cover what kind of overclock we managed to achieve with the video card. Once that's done we'll quickly cover the other video cards we'll be using in our comparison before we get into the performance side of things to see what the overclock does for us.
Inside the package we've got a fairly basic setup with a Quick Install Guide, Driver CD, DVI to VGA connector and two dual Molex to 6-pin PCIe power connectors.
It's not a huge bundle by any stretch of the imagination, but a fairly typical one these days that really comes with everything you should need to get up and running.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PS4 sales hit 88 million, surpass PS3
- Relying solely on eSports is risky for competitors
- Epic Store gives away free games every two weeks
- Next-gen Xbox Scarlett development kit is called 'Anaconda'
- Detroit: Become Human sells 2 million+ units since May 2018
- ASRock z390 Taichi v1.80 BIOS SSD issues
- ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 and Intel AC 9260 WiFi card
- Areca ARC-8050U3 USB-C RAID DAS Review
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- G-Technology GDrive Pro SSD 3.84TB Thunderbolt 3 Review
- Symbaroum: Yndaros - The Darkest Star expansion Released Today
- Enjoy the Winter Season of R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud
- Warlords Awakening release surprises for Christmas
- The Switchblade Christmas Update Is Out Now
- Great Britain & Ireland DLC Out Now For Railway Empire