More Features of the GA-7VAXP-A Ultra
Ever Popular Serial ATA
While lacking the VT8237 Southbridge's Serial ATA controllers, Gigabyte isn't one to fall behind in the features department. For quite a while Gigabyte has been fitting Silicon Image Serial ATA controller chips to their boards. This chips allows for two Serial ATA ports to be used as either BASE mode (such as a standard hard disk controller) or as a RAID unit. In RAID mode you have the option for RAID mode 0 or 1.
GigaRAID, IDE too?
While a lot of motherboard manufacturers have been adding Serial ATA RAID onto their motherboards recently, a lot have forgotten about IDE RAID. Quite a lot of us still have IDE RAID systems in our PC's and without a controller onboard you have some problems. Gigabyte is prepared for those of us who have IDE RAID systems by adding the GigaRAID controller. This controller allows for up to four IDE devices in RAID 0, RAID 1 or RAID 0+1.
Firewire - Adding up the features
So far Gigabyte has added quite a number of features to its board, now it adds some more.
Firewire has become a rather well liked serial interface to rival that of the USB 2.0 specs. While being 80mbps slower than USB 2.0, Firewire is fully hardware controlled, which means the Firewire chip does most of the work itself rather than the CPU. VIA VT6306 controller chip has been used which allows for up to three Firewire ports, these are rear accessible with a three port Firewire bracket supplied by Gigabyte.
Despite the onboard Ethernet controller built into the Southbridge, Gigabyte isn't as happy with the performance of the CPU usage of the VIA Rhine 2 networking. Realtek RTL8100BL PCI Ethernet controller is included as a result. This chip is linked to the PCI bus and gives great performance compared to the VIA networking alternative.
BIOS and Overclocking
Gigabyte has been doing overclocking on its AMD boards pretty hardcore over the last three models. Using a standard Award BIOS, you will find the Frequency/Voltage Settings menu.
FSB settings are adjustable from 100MHz up to 250MHz in 1MHz increments. This allows for the maximum out of your CPU.
CPU core voltage can be adjusted from 1.3v up to 1.85v in 0.025v increments.
DRAM voltages can be changed from default to +0.3v. This allows for a maximum of 2.8v for the DRAM. Honestly up to 3.0v is more acceptable, 3.2v is the maximum you would want to go, it would be nice of Gigabyte to increase its voltage limits on their next boards.
AGP voltages can be adjusted from default to +0.3v like the DRAM. Since the AGP is sensitive to changes to voltage up to 0.3v above normal is well enough.
AGP/PCI dividers can be locked to 66/33MHz respectively to allow you to keep the AGP and PCI frequencies well within specifications.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 3 [Features]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 4 [More Features]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 5 [VIA KT400A Chipset]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 7 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 9 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ethereum reaches record high of $414, mining is now easier
- PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 64 Red Devil: real custom Vega
- Mozilla announces VR/AR development program
- iPhone 2018 model will feature massive LTE speeds
- Apple buys VR/AR startup VRvana for $30 million
- GA-X79-UD7 memory frequency?
- ASRock X299 Mini-ITX and SO-DIMM OC and Build Guide
- Wierd characters in Z97 Gaming BIOS
- I7-6700k, Gigabyte Aorus Z270X K7, Undervolt1.160
- GA-X79-UD7 memory frequency?
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ