Sapphire has put together a really nice variation of the AMD Radeon HD 7870 video card thanks to improvements in all the key areas. On the cooling side of things we can see that we manage to have a card that not only runs slightly cooler thanks to the cooler choice, but it also manages to run a little quieter.
As for the performance, thanks to a slight out of the box overclock, you can see we're able to get an overall slight boost in performance which helps it also come out ahead when compared to the reference card.
Along with all that it's great to see that these added extras come at the cost of only $359.99, a price tag that is only $10 higher than the average price of the HD 7870. What makes the whole card even more attractive is that it doesn't have a whole lot of competition at the moment.
While NVIDIA have done a fantastic job at this $499 - $549 price bracket, we know it's still going to be a little bit till they fill out the whole range of GTX 600 series GeForce video cards. Thanks to this we can see that AMD are able to come out and show a strong presence at many price levels that NVIDIA can't hit at with a new generation card at this moment.
If you're on the lookout for a video card that comes in at that mid $300 price range, the HD 7870 is a great model for that. This isn't anything new, though, we've told you this a couple of times including at launch when we looked at it.
If you're happy to spend just slightly more, and I'm not sure why you wouldn't spend an extra $10, you can find yourself owning a card that manages to perform a little quicker thanks to an overclock while also being able to run cooler and quieter thanks to a terrific cooler from the team over at Sapphire.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]