HD Tune Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 4.00
Developer Homepage: http://www.efdsoftware.com
Product Homepage: http://www.hdtune.com
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
Before you close this review and thinking that we've made an error or that Vertex 4 is a dog, let's talk about what is going on with the sequential reads. In our testing we found that the single queue depth read on both Vertex 4 models we have in-house is right around 200MB/s. We've confirmed the result with other reviewers who have the Vertex 4 in-house for testing as well. We confirmed the results a couple of different ways on our end. The easiest way for you to do this at home is to simply cut a movie or other large file from Vertex 4 and paste it onto another fast SSD with high write sequential write speeds. We used a Plextor M3 Pro 256GB.
Here is the interesting part. With one file we achieved right around 190MB/s transfer, but with two files in different transfers the number doubled. With three files in different transfers the performance was a hair over 500MB/s when we added the combined transfer speed number together.
This is obviously going to play a significant role in your purchasing decision, but so will other factors as well that we'll look at today. We'll going into a lot of detail about real-world use in the final thoughts and our findings based on three days of actually using Vertex 4 as a boot drive in a system here at the office.
Vertex 4 has a very high sequential write speed, but as we noted on the specifications page, write performance varies by drive capacity. The 256GB Vertex 4 sits in a sweet spot for price and capacity so we'll start there. With a sequential write of right around 360MB/s average with compressible data the 256GB model Vertex 4 is a little slower than Vertex 3. This test only measures compressible data, something to keep in mind. We'll look at incompressible data in a couple of pages.
The 512GB Vertex 4 is a different story. With a 410MB/s average write speed, this model bests every other 2.5" form factor drive we've ran in this test.
At this time I'd like to point out some changes that were made to our benchmark results charts. With a new push towards high IOPS on all of the new SSDs coming out in 2012, we've replaced our aging Vertex 3 drives (120GB and 240GB) with Vertex 3 Max IOPS models. To compare the new flagship Vertex 4 512GB to an equal SandForce based drive we've also added a Vertex 3 480GB drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [OCZ Vertex 4]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo signals 3DS retirement, ignores it in presentation
- Switch digital revenue nearly doubles, software up 86%
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!