The Pentium 4 platform is one of the most evolving platforms in CPU history. Originally designed on a 423 pin interface and RDRAM memory, it has now moved well into DDR country on an mPGA 478 pin interface. Intel last launched a new processor and Chipset platform in 2000. Intel since the introduction has seen many chipsets for the Pentium 4, and 90% of them are coming from Intel'ts own labs, only a small percentage has been from the third party chipset manufacturers.
Originally designed with the I850 Dual Channel RDRAM chipset, the Pentium 4 became something of a high priced snail of the CPU market. PC133 SDRAM and DDR SDRAM proving they can hold RDRAM off should have led Intel down the DDR track much earlier. However, licensing agreements with Rambus prevented Intel from supporting DDR SDRAM before 2001. I845 chipset was released in order to reduce Pentium 4 platform costs. Designed to use PC133 SDRAM, it led Intel into a very large memory bottleneck. As soon as the agreements between Intel and Rambus had expired Intel moved straight into DDR SDRAM with the I845D chipset, this was the third Intel chipset for the Pentium 4 - 533Mhz FSB brought Intel to release its forth chipset - the I845E and I845G.
Intel was largely criticised for its lack of DDR-333 memory support for the I845E and G series made Intel review its chipset designs, the fifth chipset series came in the form of the I845PE and I845GE. Identical to the E and G with DDR-333 support. Again Intel was criticised for its lack of AGP 8x transfers.
While not originally intended for the desktop sector, but more towards entry level servers and workstations, the Granite Bay or E7205 chipset was Intel'ts first leap forward for the Pentium 4. Designed as the first Dual Channel DDR SDRAM platform for the Pentium 4 CPU with AGP 8x support, it was a large hit due to its increased memory bandwidth. Now Intel moved this a few steps forward with the Canterwood I875P chipset which we present to you a few days later after the NDA expired due to server issues we were experiencing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 2 [Details on the New Pentium 4 King]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 3 [875P in Detail]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 4 [Intel Desktop Motherboard]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra 2003]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 6 [Benchmarks - System Productivity and Multimedia]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC and 3D]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 8 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Intel I875P "Canterwood" - Page 10 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- YouTuber makes working PC out of lasagna
- Halo 6 won't have battle royale, 343i reiterates
- Genesis Mini's classic games library is shaping up nicely
- Leaked Left 4 Dead 3 screenshots show Middle Eastern theme
- Warhammer: Chaosbane 2nd round of beta access available now
- NVMe NAS Cache: Higher Speed or More Capacity?
- Massage salon
- Scythe Kaze Flex 120 RGB Fan Review
- Synology DS1019 NAS Review
- BIOS settings CPU Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4, x470
- Cooperative Level-Building Platformer Levelhead Launches into Steam Early Access Today
- Epic Games announce Fortnite World Cup - Creative!
- JUMP FORCE DLC Character Lineup Announced By Bandai Namco Entertainment America
- A New Hero Class Lays Track in Torchlight Frontiers - Meet The Railmaster!
- Plague Inc: Armageddon, the first expansion to Plague Inc: The Board Game, is now live on Kickstarter!