Fractal Design Define R3 USB 3.0 Black Pearl Mid-Tower Chassis
The front of the Define R3 is flat as can be from top to bottom and the entire door you are looking at is foam backed for sound reduction and all the ventilation has been moved around to the sides of the bezel.
Opening the front door allows a view of the foam backing it as well as giving us access to the removable ODD bay covers and the pair of panels that open to expose the dust filters and 120mm fan that is installed there now. For those wondering, the door latches to the chassis via a pair of magnets.
Covering both the front I/O and the top of the chassis in one image, I focused on the I/O panel with the audio jacks, power button and USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connections. Just under the power button is a blue LED that displays the system power; there is no indicator for the HDD activity. Behind the I/O is a pair of holes for 120mm fans, but are currently blocked with soundproofing as part of the ModuVent system.
On the left side of the R3 we see the ventilation to allow intake into the chassis is running down the entire length of the bezel. This redirects any noise away from the user. The side panel offers room for a 120mm or a 140mm fan to be installed if you remove the sound dampening material.
The back offers the first indication I see of the white on black theme of the Fractal cases. Next to the rear I/O and under a pair of water cooling pass-through holes there is the white blades of the 120mm exhaust fan. As you move down you also see the seven white expansion slot covers and the pair of tubing holes nest to them as well.
The right side of the case is plain and is just an expanse of textured black paint on the steel panel with a tab at the back to help remove these panels, just like the one found on the other side.
Under the chassis we can see there is a dust filter for underneath of the PSU and an area in front that can directly mount a 120mm or 140mm fan to the floor, but has a snap in tray already there for 120mm fans inside. The chassis is elevated and supported with the four, large in front, small in the rear, chromed feet with rubber pads.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [Fractal Design Define R3 USB 3.0 Black Pearl Mid-Tower Chassis]
- Page 5 [Inside the Define R3 Black Pearl]
- Page 6 [Inside the Define R3 Black Pearl Continued]
- Page 7 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 8 [The Build and Finished Product]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media