Moving away from the overclocked AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card which we looked at earlier and checking out a reference clocked model, we get a better idea of the new model from AMD. We of course see performance lag behind on the reference clocked card when compared to the overclocked XFX model we looked at earlier. However, the most important thing to take away is that we come to the same kind of conclusion; at 2560 x 1600, the HD 7950 continues to struggle.
For the most part in the end performance is what we expected it to be. I think the biggest surprise came from the cooler and just how effective it was. Not only did it do a great job of keeping our GPU cool, but it also does this while running at an excellent noise level.
Really there's not a whole lot more that needs to be said about the HIS HD 7950. Overall the performance is strong and after testing the overclocked XFX version earlier, the numbers sit at where we'd expect.
The best thing to note about the HD 7950 is the fact that if you're going to be gaming at 2560 x 1600, it's going to struggle in most new games. Performance is good and sometimes it only falls just behind the 60 FPS mark, but it's consistent, unlike the HD 7970 which consistently tends to be on the other side of the 60 FPS number we aim for.
If you're going to be gaming on a 2560 x 1440 / 1600 screen, we'd recommend you throw the extra dollars at the AMD Radeon HD 7970. If you're on a 1920 x 1200 / 1080 or 1680 x 1050 screen, the HD 7950 is an awesome card for you and the associated $399 US price tag makes it a stand out option for a lot of people, especially those wanting to jump on the new HD 7900 series bandwagon.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and The Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Leak: Mortal Kombat 11 for Switch scheduled for May 10 debut
- Fry Cry New Dawn story trailer - 'The Father' is now an ally
- Metro Exodus has transforming guns
- Anthem is finalized and ready for shipment
- Crytek making new AAA online game
- Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black Dark TG Mid-Tower Review
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Frontline Workers Frequently Turn to Unapproved Messaging Apps for Work-Related Communications, Unbeknownst to HR
- Tactical Guild Management 'Guilds of Delenar' Coming to Steam Early Access in March
- Nokia to publish fourth-quarter and full-year 2018 report on January 31, 2019
- Miasma Caves Explores Steam Early Access Today
- Alternate Between Two Parallel Universes to Help a Girl Retrieve Her Memories in REHTONA