As usual, we won't go into too much detail on the testbed as everything is fairly well covered in the above image. What's not present there will be shown in the graphs when we start testing. So with that said, let's just get stuck straight into the overclocking side of things to see just how the X79 Extreme4 handled our Intel i7 3960X.
In typical fashion we'll head straight to the BCLK and bump that up to 125 after we've adjusted our voltages and hopefully get into Windows with no problem. Getting into Windows with no problems at all, we head back into the BIOS and start to mess around with our Multiplier.
We ended up getting around the 4.8GHz mark, but we'd see the system shut down while we did an encode under MediaEspresso. We worked our way back and at around 4.6GHz we continued to have a similar problem.
What we did was go back into the BIOS and change the focus from a higher BCLK and lower multiplier to a lower BCLK and higher multiplier. In the end you can see we finished up with our BCLK at 105 and our multiplier came in at 45x.
As you can see above, this brings are CPU speed in at 4.72GHz which is higher than it was doing when we opted for the lower BCLK but higher multiplier. Considering the price point, this is a pretty impressive overclock and it should bring with it a decent performance increase.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series