I find myself really surprised with the performance of the ASRock X79 Extreme4 and only in the best possible way. Overclocked performance while done slightly differently with a lower BCLK and higher multiplier, we can see that it still helps manage achieve a really strong overclock in the end with that 4.72GHz result we managed to achieve.
At stock we saw under HyperPi and MediaEspresso the X79 Extreme4 fall a little behind the ASUS offering, but the main reason for that is the turbo speed is more forced on the ASUS board where on the ASRock offering we see the MHz just depend on how many cores are being used.
You can see this results in the ASRock offering draw less power and also run cooler and outside of just these two benchmarks, performance is pretty similar between the X79 motherboards. Overclocking, though, means that turbo isn't relevant anymore and we see the X79 Extreme4 perform extremely strong.
As for some of the features, we see some really nice ones on offer. XFast USB as usual does a good job of boosting our USB 2.0 performance, XFast Charger and XFast LAN also help boost performance in those areas while the new XFast RAM feature helps make use of all that extra RAM you have installed. While probably not as useful on a four DIMM board, X79 offerings with eight DIMM slots and 64GB of RAM could really make use of it.
Outside of that, the new Graphical UEFI looks great and the new colors and logos present are like a breath of fresh air as the other design while being very practical, was pretty bland to look at. Now we've got one that continues to be as practical, but just overall looks a bit nicer.
The price is the feature that stands out the most. Over at Newegg the X79 Extreme4 is the third cheapest X79 board at $234.99 US and you can see as we move our way through the tests, the price doesn't impact performance which is something we always love to see.
The ASRock Extreme4 is ultimately just a fantastic board for anyone who's looking for a board that comes in at an awesome price, but manages to not only look good, it offers us some great performance at the same time.
In typical fashion, the X79 Extreme4 is just another well priced ASRock board that offers us a strong feature set and some nice exclusive features that help make it stand out against some of the competition.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Delve into madness with new Call of Cthulhu gameplay trailer
- Diablo III for Switch: confirmed no inclusion of Link gear
- Super Mario Party for Switch - 80 minigames, launch trailer
- Windows 10 Pro for $12 and Rise of the Tomb Raider for $8.54
- PUBG's new update includes ranking system and SO MUCH MORE
- DLink HD Wi-Fi Camera 8300LH Review
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Review: No Seriously, Just Buy It
- can not find WIIFI driver
- Qsan XN3002T Two-Bay NAS Review
- Can't connect to the media server on my AC68U
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games