One thing that many will notice is that there is quite the cable selection for a 500W power supply when taking a look at what the STR-500W has to offer. One thing that many will find strange is that there are four PCI-E connectors, but you have to remember that this is an under-rated unit capable of 600W.
All of the peripheral connectors are modular and come in the form of three cables; one for SATA, one for Molex + FDD and one mixed SATA/Molex cable. These three cables combined offer six SATA connectors, five Molex and one FDD.
One thing worth noting is that the modular cables are of the ribbon variety and aren't sleeved. The native cables are sleeved, but not fully. While the sleeving does extend all the way inside the power supply, it stops a few inches short of the connectors.
Rail distribution is kept simple with a single 12V rail.
A Look Inside
Removing the heatsink of the STR-500 proved to be rather difficult due to the TIM used between the heatsinks. As you can see from above, there are more heatsinks on the inside, so this beast is filled with passive cooling inside and out.
Checking out the primary side, we find a single Nippon Chemi-con capacitor.
Moving on towards the secondary side, we find several Nippon Chemi-con capacitors present. There is no fan to take a look at since this is a passively cooled unit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox One could soon have 120Hz high refresh rate option
- Valve picks up Campo Santo, Firewatch developer
- Gearbox CEO addresses current Borderlands 3 rights rumors
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, a Mierce comeback
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze trailer, meet the Kongs
- FS 40 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 128GB $8,520
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit