On the testbed side of things there's nothing that you wouldn't have seen already, so we'll just instead get into the overclocking side of things as that's no doubt one of the more important areas.
Oh what an emotional rollercoaster ride you've taken me on in a 4 day period, MSI. On Friday I couldn't get the X79A-GD65 to overclock, on Saturday we had a little bit of movement and by Sunday we were up and running at 4.625GHz as you can see in the below image.
This was achieved via a 125 BCLK and 37x multiplier. This is a strong overclock and a lot better than it was doing just 24 hours earlier. The board continued to have some issues. Any time we went to a 38x multiplier or over, the board would sit at 1200MHz in Windows. If we turned on OC Genie II, we'd also get only 1200MHz in Windows because OC Genie II would move to a 40 x 100 setup.
To be honest, I was fine with the board. Its stock performance seemed to be good and it offered a nice overclock. It no doubt had some issues that I spoke to MSI about, but I didn't want to keep the board around, but insisted more performance could be had out of the board as I should be able to get a 38x multiplier or higher.
Having to be firm, I gave MSI a time that they could send me BIOS' to. 45 minutes before that time was up, we got the absolute most recent BIOS, and what happened?
Well, as you can see above, we started benchmarking at 5GHz! - The multiplier issue was indeed fixed and we ended up running a 40x multiplier and a 125 BCLK, which as you can see above, resulted in almost 5GHz even.
Having done all my graphs for the board and written such a large portion of the review, it was time to start testing again and work back a little. Because of the fact we already had full results for the 4.65GHz clock, we've left them in here today to go alongside the 5GHz benchmarks.
The only thing we haven't done is include the OC Genie II results, because the simple fact is the 4GHz clock it offers is only 100MHz higher than the Turbo clock we get out of the 3960X CPU. OC Genie II while helpful on the 3960X in the sense that it removes the need to use Turbo to get 4GHz and instead just gives you 4GHz flat, it would be more useful on lower clocked CPUs that come in at around the 3.6GHz mark with Turbo.
I think that pretty much covers everything and we should be able to get into the performance side of things to see exactly what's going on.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Palit's new GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti GamingPro pictured
- MSI's new GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti DUKE leaked
- NVIDIA's next-gen GeForce RTX 2080 Ti has 4352 CUDA cores
- MSI's new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO teased
- Burnout Paradise Remastered debuts to PC August 21st
- Fnatic Flick 2 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- Buy (3) Apple iPhone X $1.947 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Buy (3 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1.947
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080: What We Know So Far
- Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds with XMP
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada