Specifications, Pricing and Availability
If we were talking about a SSD from OCZ Technology or one of the many other early run Team SandForce members, we'd say this product was late to the party, but this is not just another product from a SandForce Driven company. SanDisk's strategy was to wait until the SF-1200 could easily be considered a completely reliable part with all of the bugs and minor issues worked out. Mainstream users don't want to fiddle with a lot of firmware updates; hell, most don't even know what a firmware is. So instead of selling mainstream users who shop at places like Wal-Mart and Target for their computer hardware, SanDisk delivered a product that fits with the mainstream end user experience.
The Ultra is available in three capacity sizes; 60GB, 120GB and 240GB. The same familiar SF-1200 controller speeds are quoted - 280MB/s read and 270MB/s write speeds. That's pretty much the maximum possible with SATA II. SanDisk does give us an endurance rating, something we rarely see from the enthusiast companies. The 120GB model that we are looking at today has a minimum write to disk capacity of 80TB. This can be claimed by SanDisk since they made the flash used on the Ultra and SandForce has a very good system, Durawrite, for keeping write amplification to a minimum.
SanDisk is targeting the Ultra SSD at notebook users and because of that a desktop adapter bracket isn't included in the package. A well thought out user manual is included and fits in well with the mainstream end users SanDisk is targeting. A three year warranty is also included, but that rounds out the value added features.
When it comes to the cost, we found the 120GB Ultra that we are looking at today listed at Newegg for right around 160 Dollars. This is a good mainstream value, but it's also the same price we were able to find the new SF-2200 controlled MemoRight drive for in the same capacity. The SanDisk Ultra 240GB is the best value of the two and is sold at Newegg for 325 Dollars, around 125 less than the MemoRight 240GB SATA III drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The SanDisk Ultra]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit