First off, there were two things that bugged be about the Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board. The first was the UEFI background. The amount of times I've had people tell me that they just can't handle it, I couldn't tell you. It's obvious that ASRock have probably had similar feedback since they gave the option to change the UEFI Setup Style in the last Fatal1ty Z68 board we looked at.
I was so glad to hear that the latest BIOS gave us the option to again change it, though, and that's enough for the BIOS background to not be an issue for me. The only other thing, while not a problem, but something that still bugged me was the inclusion of two legacy PCI slots, but more so the placement. I would've liked to have one PCI slot paired against the first PCIe x16, instead of having a PCIe x1 in that spot which becomes unusable when a dual slot VGA card is installed.
In the end, though, the use of the PCI or PCIe x1 slot are probably minimal, so for the most part it's not going to affect people. It's just a little bit of a weird design decision I think, though, as the PCIe x1 slot would have more real world use these days instead of the older legacy PCI slot.
Outside of that, we've got a really nice board on our hand. The color scheme as usual looks good and the black / red setup is always a popular one. Feature wise the board is strong and the bundle looks great.
Priced at $189.99 US, it sits around the same point as other 990FX boards we've looked at and it performs similar to them, making it a good choice. What will probably stand out the most for the board, though, is that color scheme. People really like the black / red setup inside a black case and the Crosshair V Formula from ASUS which follows a similar color setup carries a $229.99 US price tag, pushing it well above that $200 price point.
If you're thinking that it's time to go down the AMD FX path, be it with something like a FX-6100 instead of the more expensive FX-8150, the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional is a really nice option that should tick all the right boxes for most people.
Coming in under $200 US means that it can be paired with a couple of really nice higher end parts like a HD 6900 series video card and you're not going to break the bank.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE teases its AORUS RTX 2080 XTREME 8G graphics card
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 launches October 17 for $499-$599
- Bad Habit release new trailer for Switch title Marble It Up!
- Keep calm as Dark Souls Remastered debuts to Nintendo Switch
- Android 17 officially joins Dragon Ball FighterZ roster
- Silicon Motion SM2262EN Preview: Micron 96-Layer TLC
- Need Advice 7800X OC
- Dial +1-844-319-0999 Dell technical support phone number for Dell help
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- Recommendations replacing my Asus laptop Wifi adapter
- Xola Online Booking Platform Launches Travel Industry's First App Marketplace for In-Destination Tour and Activity Providers
- Creative's Super X-Fi Magical Headphone Holography Launches
- New ELiMENT Duplex LC Uniboot Connector Offers Highly Engineered Process and Ease of Installation
- Sevatec Announces Partnership with George Mason University
- VOTI DETECTION Announces the Launch of a Powerful Compact Table Top 3D Perspective X-Ray Security Scanner