First off, there were two things that bugged be about the Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board. The first was the UEFI background. The amount of times I've had people tell me that they just can't handle it, I couldn't tell you. It's obvious that ASRock have probably had similar feedback since they gave the option to change the UEFI Setup Style in the last Fatal1ty Z68 board we looked at.
I was so glad to hear that the latest BIOS gave us the option to again change it, though, and that's enough for the BIOS background to not be an issue for me. The only other thing, while not a problem, but something that still bugged me was the inclusion of two legacy PCI slots, but more so the placement. I would've liked to have one PCI slot paired against the first PCIe x16, instead of having a PCIe x1 in that spot which becomes unusable when a dual slot VGA card is installed.
In the end, though, the use of the PCI or PCIe x1 slot are probably minimal, so for the most part it's not going to affect people. It's just a little bit of a weird design decision I think, though, as the PCIe x1 slot would have more real world use these days instead of the older legacy PCI slot.
Outside of that, we've got a really nice board on our hand. The color scheme as usual looks good and the black / red setup is always a popular one. Feature wise the board is strong and the bundle looks great.
Priced at $189.99 US, it sits around the same point as other 990FX boards we've looked at and it performs similar to them, making it a good choice. What will probably stand out the most for the board, though, is that color scheme. People really like the black / red setup inside a black case and the Crosshair V Formula from ASUS which follows a similar color setup carries a $229.99 US price tag, pushing it well above that $200 price point.
If you're thinking that it's time to go down the AMD FX path, be it with something like a FX-6100 instead of the more expensive FX-8150, the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional is a really nice option that should tick all the right boxes for most people.
Coming in under $200 US means that it can be paired with a couple of really nice higher end parts like a HD 6900 series video card and you're not going to break the bank.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo adds 3 new NES Games to Switch Online service
- Super Smash Bros. UItimate patch 'next week', kills replays
- Noise complaint results in cops battling in Smash Ultimate
- The Game Awards 2018 viewership doubled over last year
- Smash Bros. Ultimate sales reach 1.3 million units in Japan
- Next Skin Serum Reviews: Price, Shark Tank and Where to Buy
- GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 and NVMe PCIe lanes
- Accell Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Six days until the new update launch of Seal Online: B.O.D!
- The SoulKeeper VR releasing a new open world campaign with new mechanics, in the form of Early Access version 2, in 2019
- The Game Awards More Than Doubles Viewership in 2018 Live Audience Grows To Over 26 million Livestrems
- Gameloft and the LEGO Group Partner to Bring 40 years of LEGO Minifigure History to Mobile
- New Breach Hero Class Trailer Highlights The Powerful Arcane Mender