The Technical Side of the RevoDrive Hybrid
The whole idea of a cached storage system is as simple as it is brilliant. Data is broken down into two types. Hot data - data that is frequently accessed has the priority on the SSD system for high speed read back. Cold data - data that is infrequently accessed has a lower priority and can be stored on the HDD.
Some examples of hot data are the files used when booting your computer, program launch files and pieces of programs like Internet Explorer. Cold data examples would be your MP3 collection, files that play at the same speed regardless of the ability to play them faster, like movies and infrequently used software (like say a ZIP program).
Keeping track of all of this data is a software layer that runs on your system. OCZ went with a solution from a company called NVELO and their contribution to the RevoDrive Hybrid is software called DATAPLEX.
Here is how NVELO describes DATAPLEX:
Dataplex is a new cache software product that increases the overall performance of your computer by using a small SSD as a high-performance "cache" for your existing HDD. The result? You get SSD performance across the full storage capacity of your HDD - at a fraction of the cost of a full-capacity SSD.
Dataplex continuously monitors the way "you" are using "your" applications and data, and automatically keeps those files ready on the SSD for optimal performance. In a typical PC configuration, Dataplex delivers SSD-level performance by using as little as 32GB of SSD as a cache for your existing HDD. Finally, a single drive letter that delivers SSD performance, HDD capacity, and no data management or migration tasks for you! Simply plug and play!
DATAPLEX isn't the kind of software that you can just go out and purchase - NVELO is only working with OEMs and companies like OCZ to disperse their technology.
There is one small drawback with the software and that is its key code system that ties your RevoDrive Hybrid to a computer's hardware. When you migrate to another system or start to swap components, you will need to go back to OCZ to get a new key for DATAPLEX to work.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Technical Side of the RevoDrive Hybrid]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The OCZ Technology RevoDrive Hybrid]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- AMD Radeon RX Vega 32, RX Vega 28 rumored to be coming
- AMD's new drivers add CrossFire support to RX Vega
- Intel working on dual-core i3-7360X for X299
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM