Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are higher than that of the Corsair TX550M, we can test it to the maximum.
Corsair's TX550M performs almost identical to that of the TX750M that we took a look at last month, which is quite expected considering the unit is from the same line of power supplies and just outputting a few hundred less watts. Voltage regulation was once again within 2% across the board with the 3.3V rail being extremely stable.
DC Output quality was excellent for the unit, too. The unit started out showing only 10mV of ripple on the oscilloscope during Test 1. When we increased the loads and moved to Test 2, the ripple increased just a bit to 17mV peak to peak. Under the full load test of Test 3, we saw a maximum of 23mV of noise on the 12V rail.
Rounding out our results are those for the efficiency of the TX550M. Being an 80Plus Bronze rated power supply, the unit must be 82%/85%/82% efficient at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. While our first test is well above the 20% mark, the test does show that the unit is well above the 82% mark already. The unit also achieves over 85% efficiency during Test 2 and manages to hang in there during the full load test with 83.1% efficiency.
Those looking for a new power supply in the 500-600W segment will most certainly want to take a look at the Corsair TX550M. The unit is packed full of features that are normally reserved for higher end, higher wattage power supplies such at being rated for 100% continuous output at 50C and a full complement of circuit protections. Add in the sub $100 price tag to the equation and you've got yourself one heck of a power supply on paper.
When you start taking a look at performance, things only get better as the results we saw backed up what we saw on paper. The voltage regulation was excellent, never worse than 2% across the board with a 3.3V rail that barely showed a change. DC output quality was great as well and there are some that would kill for noise this low on their high wattage power supplies.
The TX550M even passes in the efficiency department as it manages to achieve its 80Plus Bronze rating. Top all this off with the 5 year warranty that Corsair offers on the unit and this power supply becomes excellent value.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SCDKey celebrates Black Friday with cheap OS/game keys
- Playground Games discusses benefits of Microsoft ownership
- Nintendo has no immediate plans for N64 mini
- Telltale begins dismantling business and liquidating assets
- THQ Nordic has 35 unannounced projects in development
- G-Technology Mobile SSD R Series 1TB Review
- Asus 2-in-1 Q524UQ
- AMD Radeon RX 590 Review: The Refresh Of A Refresh Is Here
- Gigabyte Psu buzzing?
- Netgear Insight Business Storage and Networking Management
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions