At $174.99 US the MSI 990FXA-GD80 is a real aggressively priced motherboard considering the feature set it has. The black / blue color scheme that's going on looks great and is probably one of the better looking designs going around at the moment. And on the bundle side of things we can see that MSI have included a lot with the inclusion of the extra USB 3.0 header that can be installed inside your case.
On the performance side of things the 990FXA-GD80 does perform well, but unfortunately like any AMD based motherboard that is going to come through, it's not going to be as well as its main competition.
The price is the one thing that stands out so much, and I think when we move away from the FX-8150 and look at something like the FX-6100 in conjunction with this board, you're talking about a really nice little setup that comes in at just over $300 US. Throw in an 8GB kit of RAM and then what ever video card you can afford, and you've just got a really nice little system going on.
On the overclocking side of things, we did get to around that 4.7GHz mark which we saw on the ASUS board we looked at. It's just unfortunate our FX-8150 was met with the fate it did. Like I said earlier, I'd be inclined to blame the motherboard or myself, but it seems we're seeing this FX-8150 death thing show up a little on a few different brands of motherboards and every time seems related to overclocking. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and something AMD will be able to sort out quickly.
With that all said, though, the MSI 990FXA-GD80 as I said is a really nice board and it's one worth looking at if you're interested in going down the more budget friendly AMD path.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro under $12 USD & free shipping!
- AMD could secure up to 30% of the CPU market by Q4 2018
- GIGABYTE teases its AORUS RTX 2080 XTREME 8G graphics card
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 launches October 17 for $499-$599
- Bad Habit release new trailer for Switch title Marble It Up!
- Silicon Motion SM2262EN Preview: Micron 96-Layer TLC
- Need Advice 7800X OC
- Dial +1-844-319-0999 Dell technical support phone number for Dell help
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- Recommendations replacing my Asus laptop Wifi adapter
- Xola Online Booking Platform Launches Travel Industry's First App Marketplace for In-Destination Tour and Activity Providers
- Creative's Super X-Fi Magical Headphone Holography Launches
- New ELiMENT Duplex LC Uniboot Connector Offers Highly Engineered Process and Ease of Installation
- Sevatec Announces Partnership with George Mason University
- VOTI DETECTION Announces the Launch of a Powerful Compact Table Top 3D Perspective X-Ray Security Scanner